wyaest 1010 for hoppy beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caucasian

Reaction score
Just brewed a wheat with 1010 for a club comp. Don't brew many wheats and was wondering if anyone has had good results using 1010 for beers other than the ones wyeast suggests. Thanks in advance.

wyeast 1010 is one of the worst yeasts i've ever tried so i never messed with it again.

I currently have a summer wheat ale on tap that used 1010, and just cause someone else in this thread had a bad experience with it doesn't mean it was the yeasts fault. My beer turned out great, having said that, I wouldn't use it in something hoppy like a pale ale or IPA.

I have an American Wheat fermenting with 1010 right now. Today is day 7 and I'm only down from 1.051 to 1.024, it should finish around 1.012-1.014. I've had it held at 62F which "may" be a little low so I've raised it to 64 to give it another week and see what happens. It should be mentioned that I got the smack pack from Midwest and it was 59 days after package date according to the date Wyeast printed on the package. Also, the smack pack was already burst and the package didn't swell. By my calculations the yeast was at ~66% viability and no way to really check (and I can't make a starter...yet, lacking equipment). I will give it another week and see what kind of change I get in gravity. The sample tasted great, albeit a bit more hoppy than I had anticipated, but that's due to the higher gravity at this point. It wasn't sweet surprisingly enough. It really tasted of malt, heavy hops and clean finish. If this yeast finishes the way it started, it should make a great beer. If all else fails I have some dry yeast I could pitch...I hope I don't have to do this though.

Latest posts

Back