removing zinc coating from steel weldless build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJMaxx

Reaction score
So I read all 56 pages of the weldless wallace brew stand https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/weldless-brew-stand-174224/

I want to do a build like that. I had read in the thread about everyone just burning the zinc coating away. I also read about removing the zinc coating with an acid but muriatic acid is tricky and vinegar takes a while.

So I was wondering would it work to use StarSan as a solution to eat away the zince since it is an acidic product?

I plan to spray the entire stand with high temp paint and utilize heat shields around the burners.

Just wanted to know your thoughts. This is an awesome community.

Heat, mechanical or chemical... those are your options.
I doubt Star san will remove it, but you can try if you want.
I assume you are only worried about the burner area of your stand... If you don't want to use chemicals, maybe find somebody with a torch, or if the parts are smooth (not punched holes) you could try going at them with a grinder using sanding discs. Flap wheels work well.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm only worried about the areas near the flame. I'm hoping with the use of heat shields, soaking in vinegar and then painting with high temp paint I won't have any issues.

Back