Removing Diode on V4 D1 Mini?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdw2pd

Reaction score
I soldered up an iSpindel using a Lolin D1 Mini V4. One of the steps for iSpindel assembly is removing a diode that results in 5V going to VCC (e.g., iSpindel Assembly - Open Source Distilling). However, I'd read online that V4 removed the diode from 5V to VBUS, and had assumed that diode was the same one as was removed in V3. Weeeeeeell, after charging it after use in a beer, the Mini won't fire up, so it appears my assumption was incorrect.

Going to replace the D1 mini, but want to make sure I remove the diode properly this time. Attached is a photo of the V4 board. Is the part in red the proper one to remove? I know next to nothing about electronics, so reading the circuit diagram didn't help a whole lot.

Attachments

• D1 Mini V4.png
    D1 Mini V4.png
    533.8 KB · Views: 0
V4 has apparently already removed that diode for you, so no rework should be required. The highlighted item is not a diode. The only diode I can locate on the public schematic for V4 is the LED.

V4 has apparently already removed that diode for you, so no rework should be required. The highlighted item is not a diode. The only diode I can locate on the public schematic for V4 is the LED.
Huh, okay, so there's another reason why it wasn't working. Thanks!

The D1 mini V4.0.0 may have removed the diode, but unfortunately it still conducts 5v to the VCC when plugged into USB. The issue with the d1 mini v3 was not the diode itself, that was just a simple way to break continuity from the USB, so it could only be powered by the battery. Unfortunately it seems the v4 variant needs a new, easily identifiable way to do the same.

Or, of course, you could simply make 100% sure you turn the switch off before flashing. But I wouldn't want to bet my house on it.

Alright, ordering some V3s, and then get to do everybody's favorite activity: desoldering! Bah humbug.

Alright, ordering some V3s, and then get to do everybody's favorite activity: desoldering! Bah humbug.

Lol. I'm with you. I just did a batch. I used some angle flush cutters and desoldered one end, then tore the diode off. Super easy, and much faster than trying to desolder both ends cleanly. But I guess you could potentially tear out a trace that way. Use your best judgement.

Back