Relay question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baer19d

Reaction score
I have a question for the electrical engineer types out there. I've built a glycol chiller with a prototype control panel for fermentation. I currently have the manifold and control panel set up for for two fementers but it's expandable up to four, or as many as I want really. The manifold is supplied by one submersible pump that is energized when any solenoid is opened. It worked great with only one batch fermenting but when I tried to set it up for 2 I realized anytime a solenoid was opened and supplying power to the pump the other solenoid would also be energized because of the single pump. When power is supplied by one of the controllers to the solenoid/pump the power would just travel through to the other solenoid and open it. I think a relay between the solenoid and pump is the solution but I don't know what kind to use. Power goes from controller to solenoid outlet, solenoid outlet to pump outlet. Please excuse the sloppy wiring, like I said, it's just a prototype. The image with the wiring needs to be rotated to the right.

pp1.jpg

pp2.jpg

20170916_100238.jpg

The easiest way to do this is to add one of these 10A 250VAC relays (that sport a 110VAC coil) per cold-side solenoid.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011BL7WY8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

o Each relay would have its coil inputs paralleled with the solenoid inputs.
o You would only need to wire one pair of contacts per relay.
o All relays would have their Common contacts wired to an always-on 110VAC "hot" source (eg: the hot-side AC input to any of your controllers).
o All relays would have their Normally Open contacts wired together and then to the pump.
o The pump would get its neutral from wherever it gets it now.

That'll do it.

When any of the solenoids are opened the corresponding relay will pick.
The Common contact will shunt 110VAC to the Normally Open contact which is wired to the pump.
When none of the solenoids are open, none of the relays will actuate, hence the pump will stop.
Any number of solenoid/relay sets can be added to the daisy-chain...

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help. Will this one work? It comes with the socket base and the only difference I see is the model is JQ-13F and the one in the link you gave me is JQ-13FL.
The easiest way to do this is to add one of these 10A 250A relays (that sport a 110VAC coil) per cold-side solenoid.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011BL7WY8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

o Each relay would have its coil inputs paralleled with the solenoid inputs.
o You would only need to wire one pair of contacts per relay.
o All relays would have their Common contacts wired to an always-on 110VAC "hot" source (eg: the hot-side AC input to any of your controllers).
o All relays would have their Normally Open contacts wired together and then to the pump.
o The pump would get its neutral from wherever it gets it now.

That'll do it.

When any of the solenoids are opened the corresponding relay will pick.
The Common contact will shunt 110VAC to the Normally Open contact which is wired to the pump.
When none of the solenoids are open, none of the relays will actuate, hence the pump will stop.
Any number of solenoid/relay sets can be added to the daisy-chain...

Cheers!

Don't see a link, but if you're referring to this item
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NWHJ5N6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
note that the contact ratings are only 7.5A.
I don't recommend going that low on contact rating when a compressor is involved.

If you're looking for a relay/socket combo with a 110V coil and 10A rated contacts, this one looks like the best deal on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XBGH96I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Cheers!

Thanks, I just ordered two of them.

what turns on the glycol chiller ? (and what are you using )?

The chiller is actually separate from the control panel and is controlled by it's own inkbird controller. Just like the ones in the panel. The original AC controls are still in place, I just bypassed the thermostat with the inkbird.

Thanks, I just ordered two of them.

The relays won't have anything to do with the compressor. The chiller is a stand alone unit so the relays will only be in the circuit with the solenoid and pump.

Latest posts

Back