Reivew of build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LKHA

Reaction score
I built this one controller(cheaper more operator involvement) full electric with a lot of help from the people on this site. After many brews I want to review it for you thinking about building one.
The mash tun was purchased from Midwest and it works great maintaining temp(pre heat). The middle (HLT) is just that a hot water tank controlled with a PID allowing exact temps to the mash. The boil is on the right also controlled with the same PID. I just run the cheaper elements a 5500 in the Hlt and 4500 in the boil with no problems with wort burning even with a high gravity barley wine batch. I use a paint strainer for hops in the BK to keep them out of the plate chiller.
What would I change on the HLT the placement of the sight glass and temp probe to other side, quick connects on hoses, spend money and have all welded no o-rings for bungs. not bad for the first time and 250 plus gallons only problem dry fired once and lost a element. I love the electric but it limits me to brewing at home so looking at building a dual heat system still having PIDs and pumps for the future.

2013-03-02-133339-58944.jpg

Back