Refusing yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua Hughes

Reaction score
I’ve never reused yeast since I’ve not been brewing long. Today I bottled half an English Bitter. It was a 1.5 gallon batch split into two carboys. I was A few bottles short so I only bottled one of them and tomorrow when I drink 2-3 I’ll can bottle the rest. My plan tomorrow is to brew the exact recipe. Can I simply put the .75 gallons of wort on the cake? How much would I need for the other carboy since I cleaned it? I have more yeast so I’m stocked up good there but though why waste it? The beer I bottled tasted really good and my sanitation is really good since I’m terrified of germs lol.

There should be more than enough yeast in one of your carboys to split for another 1.5 gallon batch.
If you're only going to do a .75 gallon batch I'd save half the cake for the next batch...

Cheers!

I've always left a bit of the beer on top of the cake, enough to liquify the cake, and switched it around and just poured it into sanitized mason jars. I've never racked wort straight onto a used cake. I'm sure some folks have, though.

I gave it a good swish and so,it between two car boys. They are capped and waiting the wort which is in the mashing stage

I'm lazy, so I just transfer chilled wort straight onto the used cake. But only if:

1. The receiving fermenter has been empty for less than a day
2. There was little to no hot/cold break material in the previous wort
3. No dry hops in the previous wort
4. Nothing else about the previous batch would screw up the next batch (eg, I'd transfer a Stout onto a Blonde Ale cake, but not vice-versa)

Only sat for a few hours I put the carboys in cool water. Same exact beer. One carboy had stuff leftover. we’ll see. Exiting to try this. I also used Whirlfloc for the first time and wow that made a difference in pouring the wort

Back