Chocolate Covered Beavr Nutz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have this in the primary right now. Has anyone left the peanut butter powder and cocoa powder in the secondary for the duration of the 4 month conditioning after change over? I prefer to batch condition, and don't want to switch it to a third tank if it is not necessary.

PackerfaninSanDiego - it is 14.7 weeks in the bottle if you follow the directions to the "T".

14.7 weeks will equal 3 months for me. thanks. I'll need to get some more bottles as this beer will take away 40 plus bottles for 4 months

Brewed this recipe today, super excited about drinking it in October :). When you rack this beer onto the pb2 did you use a carboy or another bucket? I am thinking that cleaning peanut butter out of a carboy might not be very easy and I am curious about your experiences. cheers!

Mine is in a 5 gallon carboy for the secondary for two reasons. I am batch conditioning mine instead of putting them in bottles, so I want to lesson the chance of the oxidation. Secondly, just like in this case, when I add something new to my list of things that I have done I always like to be able to watch the process to understand it better. It was neat watching the powders and nibs cause a separate fermentation in the end. I usually find it easier to clean the bucket, but these things make the carboy the right choice for me.

Every time that I go into my fermentation closet, I give this beer a swirl to help kick up all of the PB and chocolate. I just got another fermentation, third in the secondary, going from this. I suspect that this is from the nibs breaking down. I'm not sure how this will fare the aromatics of the beer, so more to follow.

Every time that I go into my fermentation closet, I give this beer a swirl to help kick up all of the PB and chocolate. I just got another fermentation, third in the secondary, going from this. I suspect that this is from the nibs breaking down. I'm not sure how this will fare the aromatics of the beer, so more to follow.

Interesting. After I racked to secondary with PB and cocoa powder it kicked off another fermentation, so I let it sit for a month in the secondary after adding nibs, then kegged. Forgot about it for a month and when I remembered it was there put a gauge on and it was around 35PSI. I then spent 3 months releasing the pressure every day while it seemed to slowly ferment.

I just started carbing today, I wish I put more in, I only used 4# of banana
The sample was good enough and I didn't want to do extract after all the work.

I will be brewing this tomorrow. For some reason the kit came with twice as much coco nibs than I need. The recipe calls for 4oz but they sent two 4oz packs. I guess I will just save them for some other beer I want to put the nibs in.

AS far as the banana flavor, I'd recommend using Wyeast 3068 (german wheat) and ferment on the warmer recommended temp. The banana completely disappeared behind the chocolate and PB2

Is a secondary necessary for this? I made a ten gallon batch which is sitting in a 60L fermentor. Could I just add the peanut powder and chocolate in the primary so I don't have to rack it into two 5 gallon carboys?

I just pulled mine out of the secondary after a 5 month batch condition, and it is carbonating right now. I had a moderately strong peanut butter and chocolate flavor. I am going on a limb to make an assumption. I say that It won't hurt it, but it does have the potential to case more CO2 scrubbing than if you don't transfer. You will be putting fermentables in the primary twice, so the yeast cake stands to kick up the active yeast which will increase the CO2 scrubbing. If you follow the recipe and only keep the peanut butter and nibs in for a short amount of time you will only have a minimal amount flavor to begin with, so you will would want to keep it in the primary for a good duration.

I just kicked a keg, and put my CC BEAVR Nutz on tap to give it a try. I brewed this back in April, and wow is it strong in flavors. This beer clocks in at 8.1% ABV, and the strength is showing through. With the 5 month batch condition in secondary it picked up a strong peanut butter flavor that balances out very well with the chocolate and plums and finishes with a dry bitter chocolate and medium level warmth. The spice level picks up mid way through the flavor profile. After the initial malt flavors hits you it gets really harsh from the beer being young. If anyone wants to pull a strong peanut butter flavor from this beer I recommend a long batch condition and go the full 4 or 5 months as it may throw off the balance with the rest if the malt, if you go shorter. However, be prepared to sit on this for a while, while the flavors meld together.

I have had mine in a glass secondary under airlock for a month now. Should I leave it longer? Also if you batch condition for a long time will it have enough yeast left for natural carbonation?

Has your nibs stopped fermenting yet? It took a while for mine. I would go at least two to three months in the secondary or when ever your nibs stop fermenting. Which ever comes last. I do not see why you couldn't bottle and carb still at four to five months after brewing. The majority of people have issues at long duration conditions of a closer to a year or more. Even then they sometimes just need to wait a while for it to carb up properly.

Thanks for that info. I have never left anything in the secondary that long, so I just wasn't sure there would be enough yeast left alive to naturally carbonate.

sounds like a fun beer. just ordered the ingredients from my LHBS. i was thinking of making some minor changes to the brew process:
last 10 min of boil, add 3 squares of dark unsweetened cocoa (eliminate 1/4c powder)
i couldnt get caramel 120, but Special B in it's place
nottingham instead of 04/05

would half a vanilla bean hurt the final product? im thinking it will enhance the chocolate?

i was able to brew this one today, and hit a SG of 1.072
i pitched a 2L starter of S-04
this brew had a ton of trub so im glad i filtered the hot break via a fine stainless colander.

*update: pitched yeast on 12/11 and it took off pretty good for a 62° ferment. today, 12/15, the krausen dropped and airlock has slowed to one small burp per minute. i figured now was a good time to get hydro reading, and it was only .030 - i'll check it again in a few days but that seems disappointingly high. i have since raised the temp to 68 degrees in hopes that it will finish better.

will the second ferment from the cacao nibs drop the FG?

i've decided to rack the beer over the cacao nibs, then sprinkle the PB2 on top of the beer..

i observed this sprinkling method in a jar of clean water and the PB2 formed small clumps, but mostly fell into the water without any need to stir or mix. an hour later, and it was a fine, smooth layer on the bottom of the jar.

i think this will remain suspended in the beer for a day or two, before it settles. i'll report back after i reach final. as of now, im down to 1.024

Plan on putting mine in bottles on New Years. I has been in the secondary for 2 months, so we will see how it goes.

Bottled it up this evening. Now I just have for natural carbonation to give one a try. I have a feeling these are going be better with age. I started with an SG of 1.068 and finished with a SG of 1.012, so it should have an ABV of about 7.4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Im meant to say I just have to wait for natural carbonation. I haven't been drinking I swear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

would half a vanilla bean hurt the final product? im thinking it will enhance the chocolate?
From my first job in an ice cream parlor, I was told by the owner that the secret to the best chocolate shakes is vanilla syrup, so adding a bean or extract is definitely worth a shot in any chocolate stout.

On an unrelated note, has anybody experimented by putting some PB2 directly into 12 oz bottles, or possibly in the mash? My PB2 came in a 16 oz bag, so figuring on using the whole thing one way or another.

tasting note: snuck a taste yesterday. peanut butter flavor was pronounced, i dare say a bit stronger than i wanted. i think this is due to the method in which i added the powder (sprinkled on TOP of the beer after racking) and by this i mean that i'd wager only one jar of PB2 is needed if using this method. im actually hoping that after kegging the pb flavor will subside a bit. (it's only been 2 weeks)

I don't think the PB will be subsiding anytime soon. I am still waiting on mine to mellow out. I am getting a strong acrid bite from either the PB or the Nibs that is indicative of a green beer still. How does the vanilla come through? I was thinking of bottling half of mine, and throwing some vanilla in the keg.

i wont know until i add the extract. still a couple weeks out from kegging, unless i purchase another corny, so i'll do a vodka extract and add it then.
for now i'm trying to be patient and not think about it too much. trying.

brewing this again. it was a hit. took it to a pig roast and there was a line for my keg.. lol
i overheard such comments as "i'd pay for this, it's distributor quality" and "this is better than sweet baby jesus" and got some great feedback from a very seasoned beer snob and a head brewer from a local nano.
this time, i will add a split vanilla bean and age after transfer for at least a month.

*edit - small step infusion with 152 for 30 mins and then 154 for 30 mins. fly sparged with 170 water, and got an OG of 1.072 (SAME OG result as last brewing).
i expect this one to go lower than before. made a 2L starter of wlp 002, english ale. hoping for 1.016!

Sounds awesome, I'm going to attempt it as well. Been a few months since any one asked so I will again, does anyone have a 5 gallon extract conversion for this? Also is there any reason not to add the pb2 and cocoa powder at flameout? I'm a bit of an amateur so please forgive me if this is an obviously bad idea. It seems with a little heat that it would mix in better, reducing the risk of oxidation when trying to mix it in a secondary as well as prevent the need to sanitize the powders. It also seems to me that the added time of contact with flavorings would cause it to infuse better. The only thing I can think of is if the heat of the boil or action of fermentation would cause negative effects that I am not aware of. Thoughts?

I did a similar deal with a club brew where they brewed the bog batch and I started with 1.5gal. I added a sample pack of pb2 and pb2choc at 5min left and then recommended amnt of pb2 into secondary with a few cocoa nibs... brewed early march and cocoa is still a bit strong but pb is a nice sneaky flavor/feel...

Does anyone have a 5 gallon extract conversion for this?
From Midwest Supplies:

142v7gj.jpg

1. Mash crushed grains for 30-60 minutes at 155°F
2. Rinse the grain with 170° sparge water, then bring to boil.
3. Add malt extract while brew pot is off the burner.
4. Bring to a boil and add 1 oz Chinook, ¾ oz Spalt bittering hops. (60 Minutes)
5. Add ½ oz Spalt aroma hops for the last 20 minutes.
6. Cool, top up to 5.5 gallons and add yeast.
7. Transfer to secondary on top of the peanut butter powder and ¼ cup of cocoa
powder (optional).
8. Three days later add cocoa nibs and age 7 days.
9. Keg or Bottle.

I made CCBN this spring and followed the recipe pretty close except I used a little more coco powder (6 oz) and no nibs. Opened the first one yesterday after about 5 weeks in the bottle. I lost about half a gallon to trub in the secondary so only got 4.5 gallons to the bottles, next time I will make a little bigger batch and use my 8 gallon primary and 6 gallon secondary.

1st hit Coffee, strong lasts about 1 or 2 seconds
2nd, Chocolate strong lasts 3 or 4 seconds till just after I swallow
3rd, Peanuts, light, builds slowly pleasant after taste.

I will share a bomber next week with a few friends to get feed back and let the rest age till fall.

Good beer, I have three heavy beers planned including another RIS, so it will be a while before I brew this again, but it will make the rotation.

best way to mix in cocoa, mix up a thick slurry.....see referenced culinary forum. I'll be trying this out today, but it still sounds like the PB2 would be best mixed by slowly sprinkling on top and stirring.

Aw, you youngsters, spoiled with your Nestle Quick... :)

To mix cocoa powder with a liquid (or really, to mix any powder with a liquid - salt and granulated sugar aren't powders), you need to make a slurry by mixing a small part of the liquid into all of the powder. Then you can dilute the slurry with the rest of the liquid.

Note that if you're using sugar for sweetening, it helps to add it to the cocoa powder before you add any liquid, because the sugar helps the dissolving. However, since stevia is so much sweeter than sugar, you use too little of it to make any difference to the dissolving process. Thus, you can go ahead and add it afterward, so you can adjust the sweetness better.
shareimprove this answer

Yes, this is the way to do it. Note that it's very easy to put too much liquid in when making the slurry, which is irreversible, so add the the liquid in very small increments until you get the paste to be the proper consistency--a bit thinner than a typical cake frosting. Also: beat the slurry well to get rid of any pesky dry clumps that may remain. – kevins Oct 19 '10 at 4:32

Yup. Only way to do it. – Chris Cudmore Oct 19 '10 at 13:30

The only problem with this method is it leaves a grainy texture in the final product, at least in my experience. – sarge_smith Oct 19 '10 at 21:38

@sarge_smith, I think that may depend on the brand of cocoa. Also, once you've dissolved the cocoa this way, you can certainly go ahead and heat it up - that should get rid of any graininess, and my great-grandfather the pastry chef always said that cooked chocolate tastes better than uncooked. – Marti Oct 19 '10 at 21:52
show 1 more comment

Has anyone tried subbing the hops on this recipe?

Maybe Columbus/Nugget or even Bravo? for Chinook and maybe Saaz for Spalt?

Just want to use what I have. =)

I bottle carbonate and had trouble once before when i had made cider and put in secondary for six months. The yeast must have been dead by then because all the cider was flat. I'm concerned this will happen if I let it sit too long. Thoughts?

Back