Samichlaus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyTbar

Reaction score
Attempting to brew the infamous 15% Samichlaus Lager recently got a hold of white labs Zurich Larger yeast that is capable of reaching 15% have read a bit in to this beer and most suggest a 2 gallon starter.. makes sense but thought id brew a 2 1/2 gallon starter beer then take the yeast cake from that to brew the monster... my question is has anyone attempted this and if anyone has any pointers they would be much appreciated... so heres my plans....

Zurich Starter Beer
Batch Size 2.5 gallon
OG 1.044
FG 1.012

4oz Biscuit malt
4oz Caramunich malt
3lb pilsner LME
.5 Northern Brewer 60 min
.5 northern Brewer 5 min
White Labs Zurich Larger Yeast

my thoughts with brewing a 2 gallon starter was why not brew a beer if i have to make a starter that big but another question was would it be more beneficial to brew a big starter or a small beer??

Now For the Samichlaus

Batch size 6 gallons
OG: 1.131
FG: TBD
17 lbs German Pilsen Malt
2 lbs Caravienne Malt
2 lbs Vienna Malt
1.8 oz Special B malt
3 lbs Light Dry extract
1 lbs candi sugar, clear

FWH Northern Brewer 1oz
FWH Tettnanger 1oz
30 min Northern Brewer .5oz
30 min Tettnanger .5oz
2 lbs Organic Michigan Honey flameout

Mash Schedule

1.4 quarts of liquor per pound of grain.. 1 Hour rest at 150... Remove 1/3 mash and decoct.. return to mash to raise temp to 167 for mash out.... sparge with 4.5 gallons @ 168

then pitch yeast cake from starter beer and ferment at 50-55 for three months then secondary lager for 6-8 months at 34 and serve December next year

So this is the plan would love to hear some feedback on this... i pulled this recipe from a magazine and altered it for my equipment

I'd think to brew a smaller gravity starter (~1.030-1.0135) with an extra half gallon as you mentioned to have TONS of healthy yeast ready for that massive wort. The starter beer should be drinkable, but why take a chance sacrificing fermenation/attenuation in the big beer by making a bigger starter beer?
Not sure about youre recipe for the Samichlaus clone, but I doubt that honey flavor or flavor/aroma hops are going carry through a 9+ month fermentation/secondary process.
I hope it turns out for you, I love Samichlaus.

Just curious if you ever brewed this? My brother and I are talking about brewing on Dec 6th this year....

Back