Belgian yeast for an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zrule

Reaction score
I am looking for a belgian yeast that is more towards the spicy less clovelike and no banana. Can anyone give me direction on this one. I have also heard it has something to do with temperature...the lower the temperature the more spicyness....any suggestions?

This may help. There exists a somewhat similar chart for Wyeast in the BLAM, but I don't have that handy. I'll check it when I get home tonight if you like.

Edit: If it helps, clove flavors are from a specific phenol, banana from an ester. These are not the only phenols or esters, so this chart is somewhat general, but I hope it helps some.

A saison strain might work. I chose wlp 530 for a Belgian IPA i just made and it should be done in a week.

A saison strain might work. I chose wlp 530 for a Belgian IPA i just made and it should be done in a week.

This is what I use, also. Keep it about 68 at least until 70% or so of expected attenuation is done and you'll be happy with character, I think. It's not my personal favorite, but pretty much everyone I've given it to has loved it--in fact, my brother-in-law wants me to make it for his wedding!

I love saison yeast in an IPA- great combo. I actually don't care for WLP530, but that's totally a personal preference. WLP500 might be better for me, but I usually go saison.

I brew a clone of Flying Dog's Raging ***** Belgian IPA and their yeast for this beer is Wyeast 3944 Belgian Wit. It makes a great IPA!

Thanks for the input. From the chart that GuldToburg gave me and the WLP530 suggestion, I will try that first. If I dont like that I will try the Wyeast 3944. Do love the the raging *****! This forum is fantastic for getting help! Kudos to all the great homebrewers that are willing to help. And if anyone is not spending the frightfully low membership they should be! (shameless plug)

Back