Airlock activity at 7 hrs & nothing after 16 hrs. Please Help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieDunlop

Reaction score
This is my first time using a dry yeast (Safale US-05). I pitched the dry yeast in to 70' wort and placed in a chest freezer set to 65'. At the 7 hour mark I saw two bubbles per minute with the wort holding at 65'.

When I woke up in the morning there was no activity and temp control read 62'. I re-set the lid and airlock on the fermenting bucket to make sure it was sealed properly and re-filled airlock with vodka to fill line. I also gave it a brief stir with a sanitized spoon. I saw some top floating yeast pockets but no krausen. I'm looking for advice at this point.

Should I leave it alone for another 24 hours and repitch if there is no activity?

Also, the only thing I have to repitch is Munton's Dry Yeast. What happens if I use a different yeast than originally pitched?

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated? Thank you.

62 sounds a bit cold... I usually have mine at about 68 and have airlock activity for 36 to 48 hours. Let it warm up a little I would suggest between 65 and 68. Leave it there and don't touch it for at least a week.

Leave it alone for another 2-3 days. I would say the bubbles you saw initially were just from the temperature changing. Your fermentation is probably just now starting given the low temperature.

As to using the Munton's, I don't know what strain that is but it will give the beer a bit of a different taste. How much depends on how different the yeasts are.

Airlock bubbling means nothing. Just leave it alone. You are trying to fix a problem that you don't even know you have. The yeast will work. They only way to determine if fermentation is taking place is to take a gravity reading. I am guessing that it has started and will finish.

The temp range for US-05 is 59-75 so you are fine.

I brew a lot and never had a brew not start. Give it some time, leave it alone and the yeast will do what yeast has been doing for thousands of years.

In my general experience if yeast experience a temp drop of more than 2-3* they start taking a nap. It doesn't really matter what the temp is, just that they are rapidly getting colder so they shut down. When the temp remains stable for a while or when they warm up a bit they start getting active again.

No need to fix anything. Just RDWHAHB and let the yeast take care of it. They will.

Thank you folks for the wisdom. About 4 hours after my initial post the airlock started bubbling. The temp is steady at 65. I appreciate all of you taking some time to give me your thoughts. Cheers!

Thank you folks for the wisdom. About 4 hours after my initial post the airlock started bubbling. The temp is steady at 65. I appreciate all of you taking some time to give me your thoughts. Cheers!

Again, don't worry about what your airlock does or doesn't do...Read THIS , get the idea that an airlock is anything more than a cheap vent out of your head (you'll worry less and learn to trust the yeast more if you do,) leave your beer alone for a few weeks.

Again, don't worry about what your airlock does or doesn't do...Read THIS , get the idea that an airlock is anything more than a cheap vent out of your head (you'll worry less and learn to trust the yeast more if you do,) leave your beer alone for a few weeks.

Good advice. I read your links and it makes sense. Thanks.

Back