Indie Music Lovers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wilco (best band EVER), My Morning Jacket, Drive By Truckers, Lucero, The Old 97's, Whitey Morgan and the 78's, The Avett Brothers.

You would love it here in louisville brother, many of those bands frequent here, or are from here.

WFPK radio has a waterfront wednesday free concert series through the summer and features those bands and many more.

I'm a big fan of the solo Panda Bear stuff from the Animal Collective, but I think the AC shtick is gettin old...

How about Built to Spill...they are due for a new one soon...huh? Talk about pioneers of this thread...

I'm a big fan of the solo Panda Bear stuff from the Animal Collective, but I think the AC shtick is gettin old...

How about Built to Spill...they are due for a new one soon...huh? Talk about pioneers of this thread...

Yea man. Panda is my favorite artist going right now. I've seen him 3 times and have seen AC about 4 times. Not sure how familiar you may be with AC's members, but after Feels, Deakin left the group for a bit. They went on to release Strawberry Jam and Merriweather Post Pavillion without him. Now I hear he's back. I think Deakin gives them a more organic sound (think Feels), and hopefully, they can move back towards that. Either way, Panda is the man. So nice to see someone else is into him. Other than my fiance, I don't know anyone else whose a Panda Bear fan.

My neighbor turned me on to the Dawes album a few months ago. "A Little Bit of Everything" is definitely a killer tune and the by far the best on the album.

If anyone hasn't checked out http://www.daytrotter.com/ I suggest you do. There are hundreds of live performances by many of the bands mentioned in this thread (Wilco, The Drums, etc, etc) recorded in the Daytrotter studios. They are free and can be downloaded for ipod use. It's a great place to discover new bands if Non-Top 40(indie) is what you are in to.

Edit: I haven't been on Daytrotter for a while and it appears that it isn't free anymore. Sucks. They do offer a free trial membership though.

Oh man..I used to hit up Daytrotter all the time and haven't for a bit. Not free anymore? *sigh*

Have the Mountain goats really not been mentioned yet? REALLY?

They're by far my favorite.

Have the Mountain goats really not been mentioned yet? REALLY?

They're by far my favorite.

I've never listened but have heard great things. Sometimes there's simply too much to listen to. Will have to give them a listen while I brew this weekend. Any album in particular?

I've never listened but have heard great things. Sometimes there's simply too much to listen to. Will have to give them a listen while I brew this weekend. Any album in particular?

Talahassee is probably one of the best albums start to finish. The Sunset Tree is also a stand out. I love pretty much anything Darnielle touches though :)

Both of those albums refer heavily to "the alpha couple" which is basically his theme for a couple whose co-dependence through addiction (and overall bad decisions) has transformed their love into something very deep and twisted. So when you hear him say "I hope you die, I hope we both die" it at first sounds childish and funny, but when put into context has a very deep meaning.

Probably my favorite song that really breathes this theme is this one:

He also does a lot of lo-fi recordings, so if you can get past the low sound quality he has put out a lot of great material.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, or if he's considered indie or not, but I also really dig (dug?) Elliott Smith.

I notoriously dislike optimistic music....I'm not sure why. I guess it just feels disingenuous to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
JeffoC6 said:
Yea man. Panda is my favorite artist going right now. I've seen him 3 times and have seen AC about 4 times. Not sure how familiar you may be with AC's members, but after Feels, Deakin left the group for a bit. They went on to release Strawberry Jam and Merriweather Post Pavillion without him. Now I hear he's back. I think Deakin gives them a more organic sound (think Feels), and hopefully, they can move back towards that. Either way, Panda is the man. So nice to see someone else is into him. Other than my fiance, I don't know anyone else whose a Panda Bear fan.

I have tomboy on pretty white vinyl. It is blissful on headphones :mug:

I remember the first time I heard Solo Pitch, I felt like I was shot back in time listening to the high school basement tapes of Brian Wilson or something. He's definitely one of those artists that just "has it". He's ridiculously phenomenal at what he does.

Any Women fans here? Small noise band out of Canada. Their guitarist died in his sleep overnight. Big fan of the band...Very sad news. He was only 26.

Talahassee is probably one of the best albums start to finish. The Sunset Tree is also a stand out. I love pretty much anything Darnielle touches though :)

Both of those albums refer heavily to "the alpha couple" which is basically his theme for a couple whose co-dependence through addiction (and overall bad decisions) has transformed their love into something very deep and twisted. So when you hear him say "I hope you die, I hope we both die" it at first sounds childish and funny, but when put into context has a very deep meaning.

Probably my favorite song that really breathes this theme is this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSLDkIJnNF8&feature=related

He also does a lot of lo-fi recordings, so if you can get past the low sound quality he has put out a lot of great material.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, or if he's considered indie or not, but I also really dig (dug?) Elliott Smith.

I notoriously dislike optimistic music....I'm not sure why. I guess it just feels disingenuous to me.

Awesome stuff! I'm going to listen to the albums you recommended this Sunday during my brew day. I'm a big lo-fi guy, so I should be able to get down. Thanks for the recommendations.

Tallahassee is great but I can't take it 100% as such a Serious album, 1 because his voice sounds like he's a comedy singer and 2. The lyrics are in fact intended to be at least partly comical. look no further than International Small Arms Traffic Blues and Game Shows Touch Our Lives (the two best on the album IMO). Even the titles make it obvious it's not intended to be overly deep.

If anyone reading this considers checking out Elliott Smith, self titled album is lofi and my favorite. Xo and either/or are both good starting points too.

I disagree about game shows touch our lives. "I handed you a drink of the lovely little thing on which our survival depends. People say friends don't destroy one another, what do they know about friends?" This song, to me, encompasses the idea that their lives are crumbling around them but it's okay (to them) because they can escape by getting drunk and sitting on the couch.

I find his lyrics to be slightly satirical by nature. He doesn't *****foot around with with metaphors just to sound deep, but rather uses storytelling to get his points across.

Definitely +1 on XO. I still don't have his Elliott's titled album though I've listened it through a few times. Good stuff...but beware other people thinking you're depressed when they hear you listening to it :)

Jack White, Cage the elephant, Death cab f c, gorillaz, Beck, Josh Ritter, Mason Jennings, Hayes Carll, Dawes, Old Crow m s, Katie Herzig, Thao, Feist, M M jacket, Wilco, Plant & Kraus, Ryan adams, Avett bros, decemberists, Todd Snyder, Vampire weekend, Ed sharp and the magnetic 0s, Coldwar kids, Damien Rice, David Byrne, Driveby truckers, elbow, Florence and the machine, Lily Allen, Over the Rhine, Pixies, Ray Lamontagne, Rufus Wainright, etc....

I Am Oak, Alt-J, Tallest Man on Earth, Gregory Alan Isakov, Iron & Wine and Calexico, Hip Hatchet, Langhorne Slim, Blind Pilot, Whitehorse, Anders Osborne, Pinback, Robert Randolph and the Family Band

Grizzly Bear "Shields", The Men "New Moon", Swans "The Seer", and Phosphorescent "Muchacho" are 4 albums that I can't quit listening to right now.

Five stars for each of them as far as I'm concerned.

I would suggest KCRW MORNING BECOMES ECLECTIC or any other music program on KCRW.
HENRY ROLLINS has his own show on Saturday evenings which I really enjoy. You can listen online for those who do not live in LA or Southern California. I've been listening for years. Check out the Music channel. I have found a ton of new artist thanks to KCRW. If you like Indie music you will definitely find something for you on KCRW.
I used to listen to Godspeed, Suicide, Mogwai, Sigur ros, Tarentel, Bonobo, tycho, Blockhead, Down-tempo, Experimental, Instrumental, trip-hop, Indie etc, etc.
I was in an instrumental/Experimental band and a bit of a music snob, I'll admit it.

Speaking of Godspeed You!, I just discovered them and have been listening to "Don't Bend! Ascend!" a lot lately as well. Excellent album.

I've also been dabbling in Pelt and Earth.

I've downloaded a ton of podcasts from KCRW and I agree that it is a great place to discover new music. Pitchfork.com is another good place to troll for new stuff. Most of their new album reviews allow you to listen to a song or two or three from the album being reviewed.

A few.of my favorites: anathallo, dignan, colour revolt, Margot and the nuclear so and so's, mewithoutyou, Buxton, Godspeed, arcade fire, neutral milk hotel

If you have never heard anathallo or dignan you should definitely check them out, amazing music

You would love it here in louisville brother, many of those bands frequent here, or are from here.

WFPK radio has a waterfront wednesday free concert series through the summer and features those bands and many more.

Hey JeffoC! Remember me? Great thread you started here! Music has always been one of my obsessions and now homebrewing has joined in as another one of my obsessions in the last year or so! And they go pretty well together as I'm always jamming out to great music on brew days! :rockin:

Little late to this thread, but I am a HUGE fan of My Morning Jacket as my username would suggest! And cheezy, I LOVE Louisville! I've been there several times to see MMJ including their Circuital release concert and went to Forecastle last summer and that was a freaking blast!

Went to Port Chester last December to see MMJ's 3 night run at the newly renovated (awesomely renovated I might add) Capitol Theater and that was an incredible experience. MMJ played 3 nights of no repeats and it was mind blowing! Deer Tick opened one night and they were awesome and a relatively new band out of Asheville called Floating Action opened another night. They are worth checking out if you haven't heard of them!

Jim James new solo record that was just released is awesome as well and I just recently saw him and he plays the entire album front to back. If you get a chance, you shouldn't pass up the opportunity to see him performing these songs live. They really translate well live!

Most of the bands listed throughout this forum I'm also into but as I was skimming over the previous 6 pages I didn't notice any love for The National? Any fans of The National out there? They have a new album dropping later this month and I'm going to see them in June. Can't wait for that!

Also, my current obsession is a band out of Athens, GA called the Futurebirds. I've been into them for a few years now, but they just released their first album in 3 years and I can't stop listening to it. Going to see them on my birthday in a couple of weeks! Talk about a great band to see live!

Iron & Wine is another one I either missed or didn't see mentioned? I think Sam Beam is such a great song writer and his voice is just heavenly!

I've rambled on enough for now. Off to harvest some yeast from one of my favorite IPA's I brew! :mug:

Oh, and Jeff, GO BLUE! You shouldn't be such a stranger over at umgoblue.com!

Little late to this thread, but I am a HUGE fan of My Morning Jacket as my username would suggest! And cheezy, I LOVE Louisville! I've been there several times to see MMJ including their Circuital release concert and went to Forecastle last summer and that was a freaking blast!

WFPK has a friday night show with Jim James (Sir MICROCOSM) pretty effing awesome!

http://www.wfpk.org/sirmicrocosm/

:mug:

A few.of my favorites: anathallo, dignan, colour revolt, Margot and the nuclear so and so's, mewithoutyou, Buxton, Godspeed, arcade fire, neutral milk hotel

If you have never heard anathallo or dignan you should definitely check them out, amazing music

listening to Anathallo now, thanks for the rec!

Have you ever listened to Le Loup? similar vein, really diggining them a lot recently.

Other recent heavy rotations:
Django Django
Father John Misty
Lorn Huron
Alt-J

Cheezy, seeing as your from Louisville, are you into Louisville bands Wax Fang, Cabin and Houndmouth? Technically Houndmouth is from across the river in Indiana but they claim Louisville as their hometown. They're all 3 really good bands!

Though they aren't Louisville bands, Phosphorescent and White Denim are two other bands I've really been into as well...

Cheezy, seeing as your from Louisville, are you into Louisville bands Wax Fang, Cabin and Houndmouth? Technically Houndmouth is from across the river in Indiana but they claim Louisville as their hometown. They're all 3 really good bands!

Though they aren't Louisville bands, Phosphorescent and White Denim are two other bands I've really been into as well...

Wilco claims Louisville a tad, and yes houndmouth is solid! Wax fang and Cabin I know less about, but like.

23 Stringband is from here and put on the best show I have ever seen 2 weeks ago or so. They now tour all over and seldom play here. Bluegrass revival stuff with a serious flair.

I will checkout your other recommendations!

Most of the bands listed throughout this forum I'm also into but as I was skimming over the previous 6 pages I didn't notice any love for The National? Any fans of The National out there? They have a new album dropping later this month and I'm going to see them in June. Can't wait for that!
[/QUOTE]

One of my favorite bands.... Really excited for the new album. Love MMJ as well but couldnt really do the solo album too much.

It was nice seeing Wilco and MMJ headline Forecastle last year!

Haven't heard 23 Stringband. I love Bluegrass so I will be checking them out! There's a nice lesser known Bluegrass revival band out of Ann Arbor called Frontier Ruckus that are pretty good.

It was nice seeing Wilco and MMJ headline Forecastle last year!

Haven't heard 23 Stringband. I love Bluegrass so I will be checking them out! There's a nice lesser known Bluegrass revival band out of Ann Arbor called Frontier Ruckus that are pretty good.

If you want the nitty gritty......every wednesday night RELIC plays for free at the Monkey Wrench (FANTASTIC ever changing BEER LIST).

Their mandolin player is the mandolin player from 23 string band (when he's in town) and they play some awesome stuff. http://www.relicbluegrass.com/news

Fairly frequent notable guests.

If you want the nitty gritty......every wednesday night RELIC plays for free at the Monkey Wrench (FANTASTIC ever changing BEER LIST).

Their mandolin player is the mandolin player from 23 string band (when he's in town) and they play some awesome stuff. http://www.relicbluegrass.com/news

Fairly frequent notable guests.

Wish I was closer or I would! I'm about 5 hours to the north here in Ohio. I did go to the Monkey Wrench though during my stay for Forecastle! :tank:

Wish I was closer or I would! I'm about 5 hours to the north here in Ohio. I did go to the Monkey Wrench though during my stay for Forecastle! :tank:

Going this year? I am debating. I have to work friday and saturday mornings.

If so look me up!

No. There just wasn't enough to tempt me to go again. It's still a solid lineup, but last year I was having trouble picking and choosing who I wanted to see because it was so packed with great bands. Tough to top last year's lineup...

Glad I found this thread!

Three new albums I'm excited about:

Deerhunter - Monomania (one listen so far, so not much of an opinion yet, but I liked it)
Savages - Silence Yourself (lots of hype behind this one)
Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City (hate the album name and not a huge fan of the band but there's a lot of positive buzz behind this record. Listening now).

Anyone listened to any of these/have any good new records that warrant a listen?

Dax Riggs!!! i'm pretty confident he plays music to pay for drugs...

he started with Acid Bath in the late '90s (metal), then went to Agents of Oblivion early '00s (stoner rock), and then proceeded down the Indie path

i shall present my evidence of this amazing artist whom i listen to more then anyone:

soul of a beer can..

cover of Aeroplane Over the Sea..

and a couple from his more recent solo albums:

if you've never listened to him before; i hope you check him out..

:mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back