Flaked Wheat in porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimBrewz

Reaction score
Hi brewers, I am brewing a 1.054 porter tomorrow and I usually put some flaked oats in this recipe, but I am out of oats, and don't want to make another stop at the LHBS or supermarket, I have flaked wheat I was planning to use in a wit, but never brewed it. So, would 1/2 lb flaked wheat add the body and head retention I am looking for?

Thanks, Tim

It should, and in a porter, depending on what roasted malts and hops you are using, the wheat won't come through.

Brew on.

I see you posted earlier that you're mashing, but thought I'd weigh in anyway, because I know you're losing sleep over what I (some stranger on the Internet) think ;). Using flaked wheat in a porter is a good thing. It will not lend the same characteristics exactly (e.g., slick mouthfeel), but will help with body and head retention--maybe even a bit more than oatmeal in fact.

Porter with flaked wheat came out perfect. Just enough mouthfeel on a moderate gravity porter. Thanks for the support.

If you don't mind me asking, what's was the recipe you ended up doing? Interested in making a porter with flaked wheat as well

If you don't mind me asking, what's was the recipe you ended up doing? Interested in making a porter with flaked wheat as well

Calories: 190.78 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.057 (1.048 - 1.065)
Terminal Gravity: 1.014 (1.012 - 1.016)
Color: 25.11 (22.0 - 35.0)
Alcohol: 5.64% (4.8% - 6.5%)
Bitterness: 30.5 (25.0 - 50.0)

Ingredients:
7.0 lb Standard 2-Row
2.5 lb Vienna Malt (Organic)
0.88 lb Chocolate Malt-Bairds
0.41 lb Crystal Malt 120°L
0.5 lb Crystal 30
0.5 lb Flaked Wheat
.5 oz Belma (12.1%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1.0 oz Willamette (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
0.0 ea WYeast 1056 American Ale™

Mash 155 for medium/full body.
This is really good. Plenty of chocolate malt charcter. Good bittering level with all that roast grain.
Truly a nice beer.

Latest posts

Back