Using beersmith to calculate efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffD1

Reaction score
I just wanted to share a stupid error I've been making in case anyone else is making the same mistake. So I've recently started brewing all grain batches and even more recently started paying attention to my mash efficiency. After I mashed and sparged, I took an OG reading and plugged that into beersmith to get the efficiency. Twice I did this and got very low efficiency numbers, in the 40s and 50s! I chalked it up to either my limited experience, poorly designed mash tun, or a poor crush (i was thinking about talking to my LHBS and asking them if their mill is set properly).

Well, in my embarrassment, I found the problem. I was not setting the "measured preboil volume" in beersmith. The software automatically puts the measured preboil volume at 5 gal. When I adjusted this number, my efficiency was actually in the 70% range.

Back