Equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csells10

Reaction score
Over the weekend I was reading a homebrew book and in the list of needed equipment it said to use a grant. Does anyone use a grant? and what is the best way to clarify wort? I was confused with the book it said to recycle the wort from the grant to the mash bucket/barrel/cooler

thanks,

:drunk:

This is the first ive seen or heard of it. but it appears to draw the wort out in a manner that reduces the chances of a stuck sparge.

Everything ive read otherwise, u can just keep the drain pace slow until the grain bed settles and then open it up a little more. Seems like it might just be an excessive piece of equipment but maybe someone with more experience can chime in.

As far as clarifying the wort i just make sure to get a good quart or more of runnings during the vourlauf and recyling that until its clear, then draining it into my BK.

A grant is just a vessel used to collect the wort as it comes out of the mash tun , before it goes into boiler. Most homebrewers just sparge right into the boiler.
A grant can be used to check flow rate and clarity. I used to use one before I had 2 pumps, now I just vorlauf and pump right into boiler.
What book do you have?

I use a smaller (16qt) kettle as a grant, and transfer the wort from that to the boiler piecemeal (about 12qt at a time), but only because it is easier than trying to move the entire boiler to the burner. If I had somewhere to set up a tiered rack and better heat sources, I would almost certainly have it going directly to the BK instead.

I had a feeling it was his book. I have his- Complete Hand Book Of Home Brewing. That's how I learned in the late 80's.
It's a very comprehensive book, just a little dated.

And I have Dave Miller's 1995 book "Homebrewing Guide." It reflects home brewing in 1995, which is to say that much of the advice is very questionable today. He knows his brewing, but that's little help for HOME brewing. E.g. He says to adjust mash pH with mineral additions (instead of acids), sparging always means fly sparging, yeast starter advice lacks details, etc.

Back