Leave out Special B or not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeer95648

Reaction score
Planned on making a mickey moused ESB this week. I was at the brewshop and went to get some special roast, and accidentally filled my bag with 5# of Special B. What do you guys think of this? Wanted a deeper malt character. I have never used special B and dont want an out of balance malt character, but just a deeper malt character.

12 gallon end of boil at 1.053, 38 ibu

18# GW Pale malt (82.8%)
2.25 # Munich (10.3%)
1.25# Crisp 70/80 (5.7%)
4.0 oz Special B (1.1%)

EKG at 75, 30, 0 mins

Special B is a toffee-like crystal malt. It's very good in some beers, especially brown ales, and you may like it. It's nothing like special roast, though, so it's totally different than the original recipe.

Special B is a toffee-like crystal malt. It's very good in some beers, especially brown ales, and you may like it. It's nothing like special roast, though, so it's totally different than the original recipe.

Will It show itself at this rate you think? I am trying to be conservative.

No. I'd say that Special B, well C-120, is a better choice then Special Roast for a bitter

Thats part of my dilemma. I have some American C120 on hand as well. But, never used Special B I am not sure which will jive better. I usually try and save my American crystals for my west coast beers.

Back