Recipe help- Gout-Remedy ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So here's the deal, I've been brewing for about 8 years and found out two years ago that my infrequent gout-flare ups may be due to beer, especially homebrew.

I've had the idea of incorporating some of the prominent gout treatments into a homebrew, primarily out of spite. For those of you lucky enough to not be concerned about it, gout remedies include:

• cherries
  • green tea
  • coffee
  • ginger
  • kale/romaine/leafy greens except spinach for some stupid reason
  • vitamin C
  • baking soda

I'm thinking of making a low abv cherry-ginger ale (maybe a saison) with some orange peel for vitamin C. I'm thinking something not too hopped so it will have a little shelf life

My main questions: any other homebrewers that suffer from gout that want to complain about it with me? and: Any thoughts on recipes or ideas for this brew?

Aside from the greens and baking soda, depending on your water profile, being undesirable the possibilities with the remainder are endless. I've brewed with all of those.

A brown ale for fall with cherries or coffee. Or a light summer beer with ginger or tea. Those are the two that immediately come to mind.

Right, I'm trying to think of how to include as many of the remedies as possible without it being TOO stupid

I'm thinking a brown ale with coffee, cherries, and ginger.

I'm thinking a brown ale with coffee, cherries, and ginger.

Combining all of those would probably muddle the flavor profile for me but if you think it'll be good, give it hell. I think ginger and orange pair nicely and you could probably get away with tea in there. I also feel cherries and coffee would work.

Just offering things that appeal to me.

It's the alcohol that increases your risk of a gout attack.

I'd look at lowering ABV and/or drinking less.
The goal of this is not to make a homebrew I can drink to treat gout, it's more of a middle finger to gout and a weird brew to try, just for kicks.

I actually have the gout pretty well under control with diet, hydration, and moderation.

One good idea is to use Ayurvedic pharmacy in home brew. For my next batch I'm planning to use one of these Ayurvedic things:
Guduchi(Tinospora cordifolia) - they says that it is very good for gout, amount: 0.5-1g / 1L;
Triphala - this is good as well, amount: 0.5-1g / 1L;
Moringa - this one is good not only for gout, Amount: 1-2g / 1L

I have a friend which is aware of Ayurveda and I asked him how to use them. I have explained him all steps in homebrewing and he said that the best is to put about 50°C. So these herbs can be used either in mash or when chilling the wort at about 60-50°C.
I will order all of them and try their taste, then I can decide in which step during the brew I can put them.
I can try to put Cherries as well, because now is the season, but may be on the next batch.

I don't recommend using herbal products with no production regulation, no scientific proof of efficacy, no scientific evaluation for safety, and no scientific evaluation for drug interactions.

Many times herbal products are grown/produced/packed under low-quality conditions and are contaminated with toxins or dangerous drugs. They often do more harm than good.

I don't recommend using herbal products with no production regulation, no scientific proof of efficacy, no scientific evaluation for safety, and no scientific evaluation for drug interactions.

Many times herbal products are grown/produced/packed under low-quality conditions and are contaminated with toxins or dangerous drugs. They often do more harm than good.

If everyone listened to this advice beer wouldn't exist... Someone had to try gruit the first time, and hops

(kidding it's good advice. You'd be better off going out in the woods and picking plants yourself because at least then you know they aren't adulterated)

The gout is triggered by the purine content in brewer’s yeast. A rather painful fact, believe me.

Shetc is correct about yeast being a main purine factor in beer. Well conditioned, clearer beers will have less. A good lagering goes a long way in settling out the yeast, perhaps filtering would help too.

No more sausage sandwiches washed down with tasty young ales. ):

Shetc is correct about yeast being a main purine factor in beer. Well conditioned, clearer beers will have less. A good lagering goes a long way in settling out the yeast, perhaps filtering would help too.

No more sausage sandwiches washed down with tasty young ales. ):
Oh man I am going to starve.
Knowing about the purine content in brewers yeast is a good one and may be helpful in the next few years.

I myself love milk stouts but have found I have more Charlie horse/leg cramps the morning after drinking it while not if I drink other beer like saisons or cream ale. Could it be the lactose? not trying to hijack the post just pains too when consuming favorite beer.

wrt to the leg cramping, try drinking more water between beers.

My nitecap is a ~5-6 ounce imperial chocolate stout - it's a rare night at home that I don't have one. That follows typically four 12 ounce pours through the day, a couple before dinner and a couple after. So there's all that.

And I used to get whammed by some epic leg spasms near dawn that resolved after hobbling to the kitchen for a glass of water, so I started drinking half a glass of water between beers. Et voila! I haven't had a single spasm event in a couple of years.

Bonus: I fill the glass from the kitchen fridge dispenser and by the time I get to my keezer the glass is nicely chilled. Down the water, pour a beer, ready to go :D

Cheers!

So something like Bud light would be just what the doctor ordered?

Latest posts

Back