Recipe Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abrayton

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the feedback on my "which hop" post! Perhaps I could get some advice/critique of the recipe I put together. This is my first attempt so I'm sure some things are way off. I posted this on the "which hop" thread but figured it might work better to create a new thread.
Cheers!

Belgian Tripel
5.5 gallon ABV 9.89%
OG 1.082 FG 1.008
IBUs 34.1 SRM 4.7

14lb Belgian Pilsner (2 Row)
1.56lb table sugar
2oz Styrian Goldings (60 min)
1oz Styrian Goldings (5 min)
WLP530 slurry
Mash 148 for 90 min
Single infusion batch sparge
Boil 90 min

I brewed a tripel with a similar recipe that won me a gold medal at a homebrew competition.I mixed some Saaz with the Goldings,used a pound of torrified wheat and used Dry Belgian Ale (Yeast Bay).

The ingredients look spot on.
I'd suggest a different mash schedule though. A lot of Belgian brewers mash with low and high conversion steps - this leaves a few more dextrins that are important for the frothy head that belgian ales should have. Try 144F for 30mins then 160F for 30mins.

Only my second all grain brew and I'm not sure I'm ready for multi-step infusions yet. I know single infusion won't get me spot on with the style but I'm trying to come up with a schedule that will come close. I'm probably overthinking the complexity of multi-step but I feel I need to get my brewing process down and my equipment calibrated first.

Only my second all grain brew and I'm not sure I'm ready for multi-step infusions yet. I know single infusion won't get me spot on with the style but I'm trying to come up with a schedule that will come close. I'm probably overthinking the complexity of multi-step but I feel I need to get my brewing process down and my equipment calibrated first.

Since I can not fire my mash tun (insulated double wall), I sometimes go to a simple BIAB when needing to mash at one temp for a period of time and then bumping up 10 - 20 degs. Set up is simple and only one pot. Have you thought about this??

Being unable to heat my Igloo cooler led me to buying a stainless steel boil kettle that fit my false bottom. It allowed me to free up my old 5gallon stock pot for decoctions while I step mashed. The new kettle has a great thermometer, too.
It's probably a more expensive way to go, but stovetop step mashing and decoctions got easier for me.

Another mash method I've done before is start off with 2/3 of my grist at a lower mash temp, raise heat and add the remainder of the grains at around 152-155F, then mash out. BIAB is less work, really, but everyone has their own routine and method.

It will be interesting to compare this batch with a future batch that includes multiple infusions or maybe even decoction

I brewed a tripel with a similar recipe that won me a gold medal at a homebrew competition.I mixed some Saaz with the Goldings,used a pound of torrified wheat and used Dry Belgian Ale (Yeast Bay).

I was wondering if you used table sugar and if you added the sugar during boil or in primary? Im trying to figure out which of the following I want to do:
1. Table sugar or invert sugar
2. Add during boil or during fermentation

I was wondering if you used table sugar and if you added the sugar during boil or in primary? Im trying to figure out which of the following I want to do:
1. Table sugar or invert sugar
2. Add during boil or during fermentation

1. Either.
2. Either.

No big difference, but hop bitterness will be slightly lower if the sugar is in the boil (higher wort gravity = less hop bitterness = more hops needed).

Ok I think I have this recipe pretty much dialed in. Last question (I hope!) is how does the hop schedule look? I'm wondering about the late addition, if I should leave it at 5 minutes or move it to 20-30? Which would be more true to style?
Cheers

Ok I think I have this recipe pretty much dialed in. Last question (I hope!) is how does the hop schedule look? I'm wondering about the late addition, if I should leave it at 5 minutes or move it to 20-30? Which would be more true to style?
Cheers

Either. It depends what you want out of the hop addition - more flavor and bitterness, or more aroma? Belgian's don't really brew to 'style' - they brew what they want to. Personally, I love the floral aroma from Styrian Goldings so I'd leave it at 5mins.

Back