Recipe advice - IPA with chocolate flavor, but no cocoa nibs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerfection

Reaction score
Hello Good People,

I'd like to make an IPA with a chocolate flavor. One day I'd like to take this IPA and add Jalapeno from our garden to it, but I want to get a tasty IPA first, before I fiddle with other things.

Now that being said, I don't want to add cocoa nibs or powder. I'd like the flavor to come from the grains. I see recipes for stouts, but not IPAs. Is this even possible? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Hello Good People,

I'd like to make an IPA with a chocolate flavor. One day I'd like to take this IPA and add Jalapeno from our garden to it, but I want to get a tasty IPA first, before I fiddle with other things.

Now that being said, I don't want to add cocoa nibs or powder. I'd like the flavor to come from the grains. I see recipes for stouts, but not IPAs. Is this even possible? Does anyone have any experience with this?
So you want to make a black ipa?

So you want to make a black ipa?
I feel like that's where this idea is heading. I'd like to keep it IPA colored, with chocolate flavor. But I know the grains are dark, so it probably has to end up being dark. But that's why I'm asking you wonderfully experienced people.

I would say if you don’t want to add cocoa nibs or an chocolate extract you’re going to have to go black ipa or hoppy brown. To keep it in the pale or amber range with using dark grains your talking about 0.125lb. Not going to give the flavor your looking for.

Black ipa just take your favor ipa recipe and add .25lb chocolate malt ad .5 carafaIII. I’ve been thinking of trying to do a black ipa with Sabro. I think it would be really interesting with the coconut notes.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks Dgallo. I was going to rush into this next batch, but I think I'll take my time and work out some details.

Latest posts

Back