Entering my first competition next week.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrookedTail

Reaction score
A local beer bar in town is hosting a small homebrew competition next week, and I've entered it. The recipe of the winning beer will be brewed by Port Jeff Brewery and served at some of the local bars and restaurants in the area.

Of course I'd love to win and have my recipe (my entry is a recipe I created myself) on tap in the area. But to be honest I'm a bit nervous! Other than friends and family I've never had others try my beers, so I don't know if I've ever received an honest critique. This will be the first time.

Have any of you felt the same way the first time you entered a competition?

Just entered my first 3 all grain beers into a homebrew competition put on by my homebrew club here. I am excited to see what beer judges have to say about my beers. Everyone who has drank them says they are damn fine, but they could be lying to my face.

I enjoy fine beer and I like them so I know that are better then swill but I doubt I am winning anything... just excited to see how I do and get some honest feedback!

Best of luck!

Just entered my first 3 all grain beers into a homebrew competition put on by my homebrew club here. I am excited to see what beer judges have to say about my beers. Everyone who has drank them says they are damn fine, but they could be lying to my face.

I enjoy fine beer and I like them so I know that are better then swill but I doubt I am winning anything... just excited to see how I do and get some honest feedback!

Best of luck!

Thanks!

I drink lots of craft beer, and I think my stuff is just as good, or better than most of them. And my friends and family love my stuff. But still, you never know if they're just being nice. I'm excited to get some honest feedback. But at the same time, I'm a little nervous about it.

I would love to win this thing, but I am not expecting to.

Good luck in your competition!

As long as your beer fits some BJCP style guideline, it doesnt matter how you made it (Extract, PM or AG).

The comp I'm participating in does not require that you fit a BJCP style. It's totally open.

My entry is a Belgian-American Pale Ale. Pilsner, Munich, and Crystal malts, Cascade hops (dry-hops as well), fermented with a saison yeast. Think Ommegang BPA. It's along the same lines as that beer. It's my wife's favorite recipe that I brew.

The recipe is a partial mash.

Are most competitions all grain. Or do some allow partial extract

Most allow extract, PM...whatever. In a competition like the one I'm in, where a brewery will brew your recipe if you win, I'd make sure the extract or PM recipe is easy to convert to all-grain. Use light or extra light extract only, and use specialty grains for color and character.

The competition takes place at two different times. The first was this past Sunday. 25 brewers submit their beer (no style limitations), and are judged by 5 people (Three bar owners, one beer blogger, and the brewer/owner of Port Jeff Brewing). They select the top 5 beers. The 5 brewers that are selected will re-brew the same recipe for a beer and music festival on June 29, where it will be served to and voted on by the public. The winner brews their beer at Port Jeff with the brewer, and it will be served at local bars and restaurants.

My beer made the top 5! I'm so pumped!

Congrats!

The judging of my competition was last weekend. I submitted an Irish Red, Brown Ale and American IPA.

The IPA took 2nd in category... that got me pumped!

Back