Let me hear your extract ipa recipes.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timrox1212

Reaction score
I plan on brewing my first IPA this weekend and I've read through some recipes on here but I wanna hear yours. Anyone wanna share your favorite extract IPA recipe? Thanks!

An easy one. 6 lbs light dme, lb 60 crystal, bittering hops any, and flavor/aroma with simcoe, amarillo, and citra. Ipa's are easy :)
I have galaxy, citra, chinook, centennial, cascade for an ipa I'll do in the late summer. I won't use all the hops, but I definitely want to try out the galaxy.

Edit: I always add in some corn sugar to the boil to get the FG lower.

Click on recipes under my avatar & choose "BuckIPA" from the list. Easy,sessionable IPA. I just bottled a partial mash one last Saturday that clocks in at 7.2% by Cooper's ABV formula. All NZ hops in that one.

IPA's are easy to do. They are also easy to F-up. Now here is the deal, if you can brew a Great Pale or IPA you can make any beer good if not great. The basic fundamentals are all needed for an IPA and not much there to cover any screw-ups. So, that being said, yes the recipe is easy for 5gal from 5-7 lbs of extra light or light DME and 8-16oz of caramel 10-20. Only dictated by how much sweetness and alcohol you want your IPA to have. Hops....well, what do you like? Check out Farmhouse supply, they have a REALLY good breakdown of what the contribution flavors are from the hops and make you tailor the exact flavor you want.

I disagree about IPAs being easy to screw up. Hoppier beers tend to be more forgiving of little mistakes than say, a pilsner or a blonde ale. As long as you don't make it cloyingly sweet or go overboard on the bittering hops without any flavor/aroma additions, you'll be fine.

As the others have said, about 6 or 7 lbs. of light DME will give you a good malt base, along with 1/2-1 l. of light crystal malt for color. If you want to mix it up, substitute in a few lbs. of wheat DME for a wheat IPA, or switch to a darker crystal malt with 8-10 oz. of Carafa III for a black IPA.

For hops, try a 60 min. addition of 1-1.5 oz. of high alpha acid bittering hops, and later additions around 30 min, 15 min, and at flameout. Like sweed said, Citra, Amarillo, and Simcoe all work really well for late additions.

I do my flavor hop additions for IPA's starting at about 25 minutes down to around 8.5 minutes left. 1.2-1.5oz hops per flavor addition. I use less than an ounce of bittering so the malt & hops balance is a bit better.

Well I'm bottling mine this weekend, but after sampling it yesterday, it tastes pretty darn good. Pretty basic, as I also am a beginner. This IPA is not overly bitter, and the late additions give a very strong citrus profile.

1lb Crystal 10L
6.6lb Light LME
1lb Amber DME

1.5 oz Nugget @ 60
.5 oz Cascade @ 12
.5 oz Willamette @ 12
1 oz Cascade @ 5
1 oz Willamette @ 5
.5 oz Cascade @ 1
.5 oz Willamette @ 1
Dry hop 1oz each Cascade and Willamette for 6 days

11.5g US-05
Prime with 4oz Corn Sugar

OG - 1.063
FG - 1.016
~6.2% ABV

Looks like a lot of bittering with little flavor additions & a lot of aroma additions. 12 would be flavor,5 & 0 being for aroma.

Dunno what to say. I don't think it is over-the-top bitter, and the citrus flavor/aroma is pretty evident. May also be noteworthy that due to my equipment limitations, I only do a 2.25-gallon boil, so the hop utilization after all the extract may have been lowered.

I can do up to 3.5 gallon boils in my 5 gallon kettle. I do PB/PM BIAB as well. but flavor additions should be more like 20 down to 8:30 ime. Aroma being 0-5 minutes. Besides dry hopping.

Back