Pitching Two Different Yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJasonT

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Yesterday I brewed a massive (to me) DIPA with an OG of 1.091. I want this bad boy to dry out all the way to 1.013 or better, preferably 1.010. I'm about to pitch the first dose of yeast, a 2L starter of washed 3rd use WLP090 San Diego Super. On my next brew I'm hoping to go to fourth use on it.

However, to get this DIPA to dry out, I'm planning to pitch a starter of WLP099 Super High Gravity once the 090 gets the beer down to 1.035 or so. I want the yeasts mixed in this brew but not in the next one. Would I be best off taking the time to rack to a secondary fermenter and then pitching the 099? Whenever I rack I displace the oxygen with CO2 so I'm not too concerned about oxygenation.

Thanks,
Jason

Recipe:

18lb Rahr 2-row
1lb C40
1lb Dextrose

Bravo FWH 1oz
Bravo 60min 1oz
Cascade 15min 3oz
Cascade 10min 3oz
Cascade 5min 4oz
Cascade 1min 4oz
Cascade Whirlpool 2oz

With an OG of only 1.091, I highly doubt you'd need the 099. Make sure your process is on otherwise, in terms of starer, oxygenation, and temp management, and that 090 should do just fine by itself.

If you mashed appropriately, the 090 should get you there on its own. 099 will prolly take it a lil lower since its a beast, but its a bit excessive since the gravity isn't high enough to need it.

also, you really shouldnt be re-using the yeast from this. it's generally not recommended in beers >1.07 as the alcohol weakens the cells

Hmm, good to know. I just had my last batch of a 1.067ish IPA peter out at like 1.016 and that's what ibrewmaster gives me at 80% attenuation.

In other news, now I have a big ol' starter of 099. Can I use it in a 1.085 imperial brown ale and get a relatively neutral profile?

Hmm, good to know. I just had my last batch of a 1.067ish IPA peter out at like 1.016 and that's what ibrewmaster gives me at 80% attenuation.

In other news, now I have a big ol' starter of 099. Can I use it in a 1.085 imperial brown ale and get a relatively neutral profile?

You SHOULD use it for a 12.5% imperial stout but thats just me...

The 099 should give u a clean profile but ive always seen it as a "secondary" strain to bring down a beer 1.11x and up when the primary strain dies at its alcohol tolerance.

Stopping at a 1.016 isn't necessarily because the yeast couldn't hang. It's probably just he amount of starches and unfermentables that are in the brew. Your 090 should be able to handle that with no problem. WLP099 is a very slow yeast too, so keep that in mind if you plan to use it.

Not to hijack but I did a Imperial stout at 1.115 and Nottingham got me to 1.045-6. I put in some s-05 and got it down today to 1.034. Recipe was to be 1.028. Should I just leave it?

^^^ That really needs its own thread. Full recipe, fermentation schedule, and other info will be necessary to make any headway. Otherwise, we may as well ask the magic 8 ball.

Title: Time Warp Tongue Tickler

Brew Method: Partial Mash
Style Name: Russian Imperial Stout
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 4 gallons
Efficiency: 40% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.114
Final Gravity: 1.029
ABV (standard): 11.08%
IBU (tinseth): 102.05
SRM (morey): 40

FERMENTABLES:
5 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (23.2%)
2 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (9.3%)
3.3 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Light (15.3%)
6 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Dark (27.8%)
1 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 120L (4.6%)
1 lb - Flaked Barley (4.6%)
0.375 lb - Flaked Oats (1.7%)
1 lb - German - Munich Light (4.6%)
0.875 lb - American - Chocolate (4.1%)
0.375 lb - American - Blackprinz (1.7%)
0.125 lb - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (0.6%)
0.5 lb - Maltodextrin (2.3%)

HOPS:
3 oz - Nugget for 60 min, Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Boil (AA 13.8, IBU: 62.64)
1 oz - Nugget for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 15.3, IBU: 25.46)
1 oz - Willamette for 30 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 6.4, IBU: 8.19)
1 oz - Fuggles for 30 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 4.5, IBU: 5.76)

MASH STEPS:
1) Sparge, Temp: 154 F, Time: 70 min, Amount: 20 qt

YEAST:
Danstar - Nottingham Ale Yeast

with all that extract + malto-dextrin + high mash i'd be thankful you even got that low. 1.034 is a perfectly good ending place for a big RIS anyway

That's what I've been thinking. it was my first attempt at mashing. Failed to realize how that high temp would lead to unfermentables.

Do you bulk age your big beers or take them to the bottle?

with all that extract + malto-dextrin + high mash i'd be thankful you even got that low. 1.034 is a perfectly good ending place for a big RIS anyway

These are my thoughts as well.

I don't find bulk aging, as such, is necessary, but I always transfer my RISs to a bright tank for a few weeks, at least. I find it helps a lot of crud fall out that otherwise wouldn't in a standard length primary.

Not to hijack but I did a Imperial stout at 1.115 and Nottingham got me to 1.045-6. I put in some s-05 and got it down today to 1.034. Recipe was to be 1.028. Should I just leave it?

"1.028" is an estimate, a guess. there is no guarantee that you'll hit that number exactly. you might be higher, you might be lower. a yeast that typically achieves 75% attenuation at average gravities might only manage 70% at that high gravity. if the recipe doesn't account for this reduced attenuation at higher gravities then the estimate will be too low.

Do you bulk age your big beers or take them to the bottle?
i like to do a bit of both: long primary (4-6 weeks), then bottle. important thing for a beer like a RIS is to let it age, be it bulk or bottle. it's going to taste really hot when fresh.

Oh yeah... its definitely got some bite to it! Hence the tongue tickler name.

What do you use for the brighting tank?

Back