primary storage temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dudest

Reaction score
I see most guys leave your beer in the primary for 3-4 weeks. Is it best to leave it at ferm temp or should i put it in the basement for storage 50 Deg.

Here's an article about the life cycle of the yeast. http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

Your beer need to start out cool to avoid getting off flavors, then warmed when the ferment slow down to allow the yeast activity to clean up the byproducts. Once it has finished that and flocculated out the warm beer begins to mature and it works best if kept warm. Cooling it to basement temperature will slow or maybe stop that process.

My beer starts at 62 to 64 degrees ambient and stay there for 5 to 7 days after which I bring them to 72 degrees ambient where they remain until I have them bottled, carbonated, and matured. Then I put them in the refrigerator for a few days and they are ready to drink.

Back