First mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voodoogruv

Reaction score
Starting my first mead tonight. A straight forward, honey, water, yeast, and nutrient recipe. Going for one gallon, using 3lb of raw wildflower honey, EC-1118, and yeast nutrient. Going to be a long few months waiting on this.

Some may say otherwise but for a first mead if you can I would choose a different yeast. Ec-1118 is an aggressive yeast that blows a lot of the delicate aeromatics out the airlock. K1v-1116 is a good yeast that seems to compliment floral characters. Lalvin 71b is a good all around yeast that produces meads that are better younger. Lalvin D47 is a nice yeast that gives a nice flavor and is good to age on the lees for a few months but you need to keep fermenting temps in the lower 60*F range.

There are many other yeasts that do well with meads but those I have the most experience with.

some may say otherwise but for a first mead if you can i would choose a different yeast. Ec-1118 is an aggressive yeast that blows a lot of the delicate aeromatics out the airlock. K1v-1116 is a good yeast that seems to compliment floral characters. Lalvin 71b is a good all around yeast that produces meads that are better younger. Lalvin d47 is a nice yeast that gives a nice flavor and is good to age on the lees for a few months but you need to keep fermenting temps in the lower 60*f range.

There are many other yeasts that do well with meads but those i have the most experience with.
+1.........

I will have to try that for my next batch and compare tasting notes. Must is bubbling away happily this morning at about one ~blurp~ per minute. Really anxious, as mead has always been one of my favorite adult bevvies, both for flavor and its history.

Latest posts

Back