My Home Brews always have that Green taste...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wvumountee21

Reaction score
No matter if I use the hopped extract kits, or use my own malt/hop combinations I still seem to always yield the same result. My last batch I even let ferment an extra week (3), and let it sit in the bottles at 75ish degrees for a couple months. I made sure to sanitize everything, even letting things soak in sanitizer solution (Star-San).

"Green taste" is the best way I can describe. Hopefully some of the more experienced brewers will know what I'm talking about.

Anything you think I may be doing wrong or should try differently? Think I have one more batch in me to try, otherwise I might give up this hobby. Thanks!!

Are you using tap water? If they're all similar, start with the common denominator.

Nah, I'm actually using the water that you buy in the gallon jugs. I believe I was getting the "Drinking Water" kind, as opposed to "Spring" and whatever else there was.

Are you always using extract? If yes, maybe try increasing your boil size. It's possible you are getting more of a Maillard reaction than you want. I could be way off base here but I agree that you should look for a common denominator.

What temps are you fermenting at? Not room temp, actual fermentation temp. If room temp is 70, you want to find a way to cool the beer while it's fermenting.

It's really hard to say with a description of "Green" beer taste. To me, "green" means that everything is still a little harsh, usually darker or high alcohol beers that need some time to mellow and come together flavor wise.

An off flavor that's always there wouldn't be a "green" flavor to me. That would be something in your process. Since we've negated water, I'd think fermentation temp next. If that doesn't solve the problem, my next guess would be scortching or caramelizing the extract.

What temps are you fermenting at? Not room temp, actual fermentation temp. If room temp is 70, you want to find a way to cool the beer while it's fermenting.

It's really hard to say with a description of "Green" beer taste. To me, "green" means that everything is still a little harsh, usually darker or high alcohol beers that need some time to mellow and come together flavor wise.

An off flavor that's always there wouldn't be a "green" flavor to me. That would be something in your process. Since we've negated water, I'd think fermentation temp next. If that doesn't solve the problem, my next guess would be scortching or caramelizing the extract.

I was thinking fermentation temp, too, followed by extract issues.

My fermentation temp has always been a steady 75 +- 2-3 degrees. Perhaps I need to go colder?

It's definitely an off-flavor, perhaps "green" is the wrong word to use. However, it's always the same off-flavor.

As far as scorching goes, I don't believe I did. I didn't have a burnt smell or anything like that from my pot. If that's what you mean by scorching.

Yeah, more than likely your temps are too high. Fermenting that high is going to leave a bunch of banana type estery flavors. Make yourself up a swamp cooler and shoot for mid 60s - no more than 68 and that flavor should go away.

My basement stays pretty cool all year around, so I don't have to build an actual swamp cooler, I just use a big soft side cooler and throw a gallon jug of ice in there, then drape a towel over it and my fermenter. That usually keeps me mid to low 60s.

My fermentation temp has always been a steady 75 +- 2-3 degrees. Perhaps I need to go colder?

It's definitely an off-flavor, perhaps "green" is the wrong word to use. However, it's always the same off-flavor.

As far as scorching goes, I don't believe I did. I didn't have a burnt smell or anything like that from my pot. If that's what you mean by scorching.

I don't have the answer (decided to state this upfront so as to not disappoint)....

Does the flavor linger during the finish but is mostly absent during the initial taste? Not musty and not bitter but leafy to some extent, but not really vegetable like either? If so, I have the same thing with my IPA I just brewed. I was thinking it might actually be the Columbus Hops, but if it is the same thing you are experiencing than it cannot be that. Either way, I will be following this thread closely.

Yeah, more than likely your temps are too high. Fermenting that high is going to leave a bunch of banana type estery flavors. Make yourself up a swamp cooler and shoot for mid 60s - no more than 68 and that flavor should go away.

My basement stays pretty cool all year around, so I don't have to build an actual swamp cooler, I just use a big soft side cooler and throw a gallon jug of ice in there, then drape a towel over it and my fermenter. That usually keeps me mid to low 60s.

Crap, looking back at my brew notes I kept the temp between 65-70, not 75. Not sure what I was thinking. However, that was the temp on my sticky thermometer outside my fermenter. I know the internal temp could be slightly higher. I'm thinking either way I should shoot for 60ish degrees for my next batch, and let it ferment a little longer.

I don't have the answer (decided to state this upfront so as to not disappoint)....

Does the flavor linger during the finish but is mostly absent during the initial taste? Not musty and not bitter but leafy to some extent, but not really vegetable like either? If so, I have the same thing with my IPA I just brewed. I was thinking it might actually be the Columbus Hops, but if it is the same thing you are experiencing than it cannot be that. Either way, I will be following this thread closely.

I am terrible at describing tastes...haha...I read beer reviews sometimes and get really puzzled at the some of the descriptions people give. That's all cool and everything, but call me simple, I either like it or don't like it.

That said, with my very first batch I was told to do taste tests during the fermentation/conditioning process to see how it progresses. And the only thing I could relate the taste to was how it tasted when it was too early to open the bottle. I know that wasn't the case for me because I've had it condition for 2 months now.

Crap, looking back at my brew notes I kept the temp between 65-70, not 75. Not sure what I was thinking. However, that was the temp on my sticky thermometer outside my fermenter. I know the internal temp could be slightly higher. I'm thinking either way I should shoot for 60ish degrees for my next batch, and let it ferment a little longer.

I doubt that is it then. Seriously, don't shoot for 60, that's bordering on too low for most ale yeasts. I've found 65 to be a great temp for my ales. It gives a good strong fermentation, without giving me the estery flavors Unless it's always fermenting at 70. That sticky should give you a decent reading actually. Probably not spot on, but it's doubtful you have beer fermenting at 75 if that thermometer on the fermenter says 65. The only other possible fermenting issue, would be your pitching temp. Make sure that's in the mid 60s as well, before pitching the yeast.

My next guess on this would be the extract caramelizing. Try a full boil, or only adding half the extract at the start, then the rest with 15 minutes to go. And make sure you remove pot from the heat when you add the extract as well as making sure the extract is completely dissolved before you put it back on the heat.

With that, that's pretty much where my knowledge would end, without actually tasting the beer. I hope you get it straightened out.

I ferment pretty much all of my ales at 61*F. I keep my temp sensor strapped to my carboy.

That's something I didn't do is take the pot off the burner while adding the extract. I was using dry extract last time and started out adding gradually, but eventually got impatient and added more and more at a time for it to dissolve.

thanks for the tips!!

Additionally, I pitched they yeast just under 65 degrees knowing that the temp would rise slightly.

My first 17 batches were all partial boils. Extract then mini-mashes and topping up with 1.5-2 gals. Every batch had that "off" flavor.

Since then, with the changes I made, My last 4 batches have been remarkably better.

NOW:
I have a 42 quart pot to do full boils.
I have a big propane burner to get "better" vigorous boils.
I use a combination of Tap and RO water (100% RO for my light color beers)
I boil for 75-90 minutes in lieu of 60 min.
I made an Immersion chiller and brought my chilling times down from 30-40 min to 15-20.
I pitch at around 62 degrees and hold fermentation temps at around 65 until things slow down, then let it ramp up to room temp to finish.
Except for my Browns and Belgians. Those I pitch cold, but ferment warmer.

I can't tell which of these changes made the biggest difference, but at least a combination of all of these changes has solved my issues.

Now that you mention boiling, that might be where my problem lies. I did a 60 minute boil but I wouldn't consider it a full rolling boil for the entire time. Like a noob, my pot was big enough but didn't leave much room for the liquid to boil up. So I had to reduce heat and take it off the burner a couple times for it to go back down.

I'm prepared this time with a big ass pot, so if that was my problem it won't be this time.

Are you using the same yeast in every batch? I did that when I first started and ended up with 4 batches that were susposed to be very diffrent but all tasted pretty much the same on the finish.

I have since started using diffrent yeasts and am much happier with my results. Plain and simple, I didn't care for the yeast.

Also, are you ingredients fresh? Some home brew supply shops don't have a large turn over and you end up with stale lme, try ordering your next batch from a place like Northern Brewer or Mile High, or one of the online suppliers that sell larger volumes.

Are you using the same yeast in every batch? I did that when I first started and ended up with 4 batches that were susposed to be very diffrent but all tasted pretty much the same on the finish.

I have since started using diffrent yeasts and am much happier with my results. Plain and simple, I didn't care for the yeast.

Also, are you ingredients fresh? Some home brew supply shops don't have a large turn over and you end up with stale lme, try ordering your next batch from a place like Northern Brewer or Mile High, or one of the online suppliers that sell larger volumes.

I've been using Safale US-05 dry yeast. Any suggestions for something different for an IPA style beer?

I am terrible at describing tastes...haha...I read beer reviews sometimes and get really puzzled at the some of the descriptions people give.

I hear you man, that's me too. I try, I really do, to look for some of those specific things, but the differentiation just isn't there for me. Good thing I didn't choose a career as chef!

I've been using Safale US-05 dry yeast. Any suggestions for something different for an IPA style beer?
That strain comes out pretty neutral in my experience, I made one beer with it which my wife even said it tastes like nothing (and she has very sensitive taste buds).

I think you should get much better results with a lower fermentation temperature, make sure you don't under pitch and keep an eye on the pitching temperature too. My first beer also had that green taste that wouldn't go away after conditioning for 5 months, the following batches got better as I paid more attention to temperature and pitching rate.

Back