yeast strains vs. hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethtb101

Reaction score
Which do you think affects the flavor more, the yeast or the hops? I'm trying to make a very specific flavor of beer, and I'm wondering if buying the more expensive strains is worth it.

Welcome to HBT, Seth. Both impact flavor, but in very different ways. And, some yeast strains impact hop bitterness - for example, White Labs says that their East Coast strain will not accentuate hop bitterness. What are you brewing and what yeast and hops are you thinking about using?

I am brewing a chocolate session IPA. My local brew store has the strains and hops that he recommends, but I was just looking for additional imput.

How sessionable (what abv are you aiming for?) American or English style IPA?

If I were making up a recipe, I'd probably do the English style IPA, seems it would work better with chocolate, perhaps. So, I'd go with an English yeast strain (WLP-002, maybe) or a dry Windsor. Hops I would consider would be English hops, Fuggles, East Kent Goldings and/or Challenger.

If you are a new-ish brewer, you might consider going with the dry yeast (Windsor or US-04 are both good dry English yeasts) because you don't have to worry about pitch rates, starters, and yeast health generally.

In was planning on going with an American IPA, but now I don't know. He also recommended the goldings, which means I'm for sure going to use that. I was also planning on making it more floral or citrus. would the English IPA still work better?

The American take on IPAs is generally bigger and bolder. What does that mean? Good question. I seems Americans have pushed the envelope in this style with more hops, and a lot of times more alcohol. An English style would tend to be maltier and less hoppy than the American.

I believe you are setting yourself somewhere in between. Your ingredients imply English, but the citrus thing tends to be American. I would see about adding some cascade or centennial hops for the citrus to come through. Also If you want an American style, pick a clean yeast like Wyeast 1056, or White Labs WLP001 or dry yeast like Safale 005.

Google BJCP Style guidelines to get the differences in style. English is category 8 and American category 10.

Finally, I would rethink the chocolate, especially if going American style.

It's home brewing, so whatever you do I'm sure you'll love it.

I feel like if you want a beer that showcases citrusy hops, I don't associate that malt with it. I could be wrong, my recipes are at home, and it might be possible that I've even used a small amount before in an IPA, but I don't think so.

I would check out some other IPA recipes.

I would never recommend Windsor for anything. Poor attenuation and flavor in my experience. Us04 is fine.

I've used a small amount of chocolate in an English black IPA, and it worked great! I do not think it would work with the American style, especially with the citrusy hops like cascade.

Back