wy3724: Subjective Perceptions of Exothermic Activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
I’m 4 days into a Saison, brewed on 6/7, fermenting with Wyeast 3724: Belgian Saison. I read a lot about the fermentation characteristics about this yeast. As with much on HBT, there’s contrasting opinions, results, etc. Some will say to pitch mid-range with this yeast and ramp up, others will say to pitch in the 90’s and stay there. I pitched at 89°F at 11pm on 6/7, and had a nice krausen 6 hours later, by 5:30am on 6/8. I’m using a FermWrap with a Thermowell and a Johnson Digital Temperature Control, and I raised it one degree per day for the next three days. Today (6/11), the set point (heating cut-out) is 92°F, with a DIF=1, so the average temp reads 91°F. By today, the visible fermentation activity is nearly over. During the first 4 days, the heat bounced around between 89°F and 92°F. To the touch, it felt warm on the outside of the carboy (even when it read at its lowest). Today, while the temp read 92°F (its apex) the temp on the outside felt subjectively cooler than it did during active fermentation. So, I’m curious, has anyone noticed this or does anyone have any insight? Does it make sense that it reads 89°F or 90°F at some points during active fermentation and feels warmer than when it reads 92°F but active fermentation is over?

:confused:

Back