SSR issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruwsomtin

Reaction score
I have a PID running a SSR that controls my heating element in my RIMS tube. It is a 25 amp relay and the element is 1500 watt (12.5 amp). I have been using this system for about two years and the relay always ran quiet..the last brew session it started a humming noise when the element is on. The heat sink never gets hot to touch. I was wondering what is causing this noise to suddenly appear.

I run a 40amp SSR pushing a 5500w element (23amp) - my heat sink gets warm, not hot - but noticably warm. Do you have good thermal contact between the SSR and the heat sink? If your heat sink isn't getting hot, it's possible that it's not dissipating the heat like it should be.

The reason the relay humms or buzzes is that the pole faces on the relay are not aligning properly. This could be a result of the relay being out in the weather and developing a coat of rust on it. If the relay stops the noise when given a tap on its side then that is the cause.

The other cause could be from a broken shorted turn. The use of laminations in an ac relay reduces the heating due to eddy currents. In addition, a copper strap or ring (called a shorted turn) is placed near the end of the pole piece of an ac relay to reduce chatter during operation. Because the ac is going through a peak, dropping to zero, going through a peak in the opposite direction, and then dropping to zero again during each complete cycle, the coil tends to release the armature each time the current drops to zero and attracts the armature each time it reaches a peak. The shorted turn acts as the secondary of a transformer, the primary of which is the relay operating coil. The current in the shorted turn is out of phase with the current of the operating coil because the copper ring has low-inductive reactance. Thus, when the operating coil flux is zero, the flux produced by the shorted coil is different from zero, and the tendency of the relay to chatter is reduced.

Either way, your relay is about to be replaced by a new one :)

I'd remove it and re-apply thermal grease and see if that helps.

And I'd order a replacement and have it on hand. SSR's do wear out.

The reason the relay humms or buzzes is that the pole faces on the relay are not aligning properly. This could be a result of the relay being out in the weather and developing a coat of rust on it. If the relay stops the noise when given a tap on its side then that is the cause.

The other cause could be from a broken shorted turn. The use of laminations in an ac relay reduces the heating due to eddy currents. In addition, a copper strap or ring (called a shorted turn) is placed near the end of the pole piece of an ac relay to reduce chatter during operation. Because the ac is going through a peak, dropping to zero, going through a peak in the opposite direction, and then dropping to zero again during each complete cycle, the coil tends to release the armature each time the current drops to zero and attracts the armature each time it reaches a peak. The shorted turn acts as the secondary of a transformer, the primary of which is the relay operating coil. The current in the shorted turn is out of phase with the current of the operating coil because the copper ring has low-inductive reactance. Thus, when the operating coil flux is zero, the flux produced by the shorted coil is different from zero, and the tendency of the relay to chatter is reduced.
:drunk::confused::drunk::confused:

Either way, your relay is about to be replaced by a new one :)

What he said! :ban:

This is an SSR - solid state relay - not a physical relay...

Well, it's a physical relay, but an electronic relay rather than an electro-mechanical relay. Unless of course, it is a virtual, metaphysical relay.... :cross:

jeffmeh said:
Well, it's a physical relay, but an electronic relay rather than an electro-mechanical relay. Unless of course, it is a virtual, metaphysical relay.... :cross:

Per the OP: "I have a PID running a SSR".

So fine, I'll amend my comment to say that the ridiculously detailed description above is of an electro-mechanical/non-SSR type of device and frankly was a waste of a post as this thread *was* about an SSR.

I purposefully chose to use the word "was" because we have now derailed this thread.

Good luck to the OP. I'm out.

LOL

Next time I pay more attention and not waste a post...

Years of working with electronics and relay is always a relay and a ssr is always an ssr. In my circles anyway. The multiple uses of "relay" in the op threw me off. No bid deal.

By the way, the long winded description applies to anyone with a contactor with the same humming symptoms.

Just in case anyone is doing a search about that and comes up to this thread :)

mendesm said:
LOL

Next time I pay more attention and not waste a post...

Years of working with electronics and relay is always a relay and a ssr is always an ssr. In my circles anyway. The multiple uses of "relay" in the op threw me off. No bid deal.

By the way, the long winded description applies to anyone with a contactor with the same humming symptoms.

Just in case anyone is doing a search about that and comes up to this thread :)

It was a very informative post actually. Mine was less so - I should stay away from the reply button when I'm grumpy. Glad you're laughing. :cheers:

Good info on contactor buzzing and contactor humming and contactor issues. I hope I helped the search index...

Latest posts

Back