Questions about adding cherries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronanddelania

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of threads about adding fruit to beer, and that is why I am so confused. We are trying t make a cherry wheat with frozen cherries. We do not currently have a secondary fermenter.
First off, our LHBS told us just to add the fruit to the primary fermenter before pitching yeast. Websites have said to add it to the wort 5 minutes before the boil is over, to add it after the boil but before the chill, and to boil it the whole time. Any advice?

There's just differing opinions on how to do it- all of them will work! Boiling will extract some sugar and flavor, but could likely cause pectin haze. Since you don't have a secondary, personally, I would add the cherries directly to your primary vessel an 5 days after primary fermentation has completed. The yeast will get back to work fermenting the sugar in the cherries, so you should wait another 5 days after that's finished to package your beer.

Thanks for the advice. That was the path we were leaning towards. There are so many methods out there.

Back