Is there such thing as too long of a mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natelindner

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've only brewed a few batches and I do all grain on the stove top and for whatever the reason I have immense trouble hitting my OGs. Could say a 90 minute boil help me convert? Or does anyone have tips for how to get good mash efficiency when using a grain bag on the stove top? Its possible my hydrometer isnt working right but I've been below my OG by at least 0.01 on every batch I've done and I've in general been keeping my temperatures...

I'm no pro by any means but I do know the hydrometer is only accurate at 60ºF. So if its off it could be the temp your at.

Hope that helps...

A 90 min BOIL??? A boil may kill all the enzymes that convert starches to sugar. You have effectively killed off any chance at beer. A mash should be done considerably cooler, what 150? I'm planning one in afew days, and plan to use Palmer's 3-step.

I find if very difficult to hold a consistent mash temp doing BIAB on the stove top. If you are trying to heat your mash vessel during the mash you have to stir like crazy or have a pump to recirculate. This is one of the reasons I quit doing BIAB. The other was because it was messy trying to squeeze the grain bag to get all the sugary goodness out.

I don't mean to discourage you as I think BIAB is a great introduction to all grain brewing. But if you don't have a way to hold mash temps consistent you are going to experience problems. Do you have a cooler you could mash in that would hold temps consistent without requiring heat during the mash?

BIAB is going to be lower efficiency than mashes that are sparged.

A longer mash will improve efficiency. So will lower temperatures. Do a 3 hour mash and gain 5 points: http://braukaiser.com/documents/Effects_of_mash_parameters_on_attenuation_and_efficiency.pdf

Boiling denatures enzymes and stops the conversion of large sugars to fermentable sugars.

If you boil longer, your gravity goes up, which in essence corrects for poor efficiency in your mash. Get a refractometer, measure the gravity at the start of the boil, and calculate how long to boil to get to your desired OG.

To maintain mash temps try wrapping your mash pot in blankets and comforters or duvets or whatever they are called. I find that when I do PM brews with wrapping I lose minimal temperature over the hour/90 mins.

Back