Whats your typical rotation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyc318

Reaction score
I've been brewing for just over a year now, but I think I'm ready to come up with 6-8 recipes that I brew on a regular basis and try to really fine tune those recipes. I'm just curious, what kinds of beers do you all have as your regular beers?

An Irish red, American IPA, black IPA, brown porter, chili beer, bananas foster beer, vanilla cream ale, coffee stout, strawberry honey wheat, and a Belgian dubbel.

I could answer your question with what I am thinking today but it will probably be different tomorrow. I love making my own beer because I can change styles about as frequently as I change underwear.

Various IPAs, various stouts, various strong (and sessionable) Belgian ales. Every spring i brew an arrogant bastard clone, every summer I brew a wit, every fall I brew some kind of brown and I have a holiday beer lined up for Xmas time (not always a spiced one). Annual oktoberfest. Intermittent apfelwein. So many other things, too.

I'm all over the place. I like making an Irish beer for St Paddy's day, a strawberry wheat when the strawberry stand opens next to the house, and a dark then light from one brew to the next. I have yet to make a lager, but will give it a go eventually.

My house beer is a German Helles lager, but I rotate another keg with whatever floats my boat. Right now its a rye pale ale almost ready to drink, and next weekend im brewing an IPA with English malt and centennial and cascade hops.

Right now I'm trying to dial in a Kolsch, amber ale, pale ale, IPA, was also thinking about adding a pilsner and Oktoberfest to my line up of dialed in regulars. I would never be bored drinking these kinds of beer.
Love the variety you guys are sharing!

Great topic. I've been brewing for almost a year now and have been recently thinking along the same lines. Only I'm thinking more like 4 or 5 regulars, and then experimenting in between.
I'm leaning towards a house sweet stout, an orange cream ale and a honey Saison for the summer, an APA for my hop crazy friends, and a spiced strong Belgian for the winter.
I have about 10 gallons of lambics sitting in the corner and added another 5 gallons to mix with at some time but that's another story!

bleme said:
The only beer I have ever brewed twice are a cream ale and a Saison.

I'm looking for a good saison recipe as my first one didn't hit the mark. I'm not ready to give up on the style, so any advise is appreciated.

rkorn74 said:
I'm looking for a good saison recipe as my first one didn't hit the mark. I'm not ready to give up on the style, so any advise is appreciated.

This one was my favorite of the 2. I started it at 75F and let it rise to 85F after 3 days. The first one I made without the date sugar and kept at 75F the whole time. It was nice, just not as good as the 2nd. Can't wait to try the Bret version!!!

http://hopville.com/recipe/1644674

I have 3 standard brews, an Ordinary Bitter 3.3% abv session beer, Robust Porter 5.2% and my 'signature' Red IPA at 7%. I have them almost dialed in to my satisfaction.

I experiment with APA's playing with different hops etc, and make one completely absurd IIPA year as well as a Russian Imperial Stout that I try to cellar, never seem to make enough to last tho lol.

It all comes down to what kind of beer you like. Last year I didn't brew an IPA because I'm not a big fan of them...but need a hop fix every once in a while.

I love big sweet RIS's, Tripels, Quads/Strong ales, and any other Belgian style, so I am always brewing those. Also, I like making a wheat, wit, and oktoberfest as my seasonals.

For the rest of this year, I will probably brew the following,
RIS x2 or 3 (already brewed one)
Tripel x1
Quad x1 (already bottled two)
English barley wine x1
Wit x2
Wheat x1
Gruit x1
Mead x1
Skeeter pee x2 (different variations)
IIPA x1 (already brewed one)

I brew about 100gal/yr, but I don't tend to brew 10 of one kind of beer because I like a variety. However, all the beers I brew need to age well because of that same reason.

I keep my house Dusseldorf Alt, Pale Ale, IPA, and Oatmeal Stout in stock pretty much all the time. The 5th tap is the wildcard. Although I'm thinking of dropping the Stout for the Spring/Summer months and replacing it with a blonde or kolsch.

I have a blonde ale that I try make every 2-3 batches.
an irish stout and oatmeal stout is usually in the rotation
RIS twice a year
A ginger, a pumpkin, a christmas once a year

the rest of the time is open to anything

I have 4 taps on the go. Always have a Pale, IPA, and a Cream or Blonde ale. Every 4th batch is something different depending on seasons. Porter and/or Dark Ale in the fall and winter, wheats and/or fruit beers in the spring and summer.

I alternate between 20-23lt batches of bitter and smaller 12l batches of whatever I fancy making. I do smaller batches because this allows me to do a full mash (rather than the partial mash I'm limited to for larger batches) and then bottle. I barrel the larger batches, and I only have one barrel which I try to keep stocked.

I'm starting to fine tune my Best recipe to be my "house bitter", having a go with Willamette this time for a twist on the traditional English bitter with Fuggles. Last one had Cascade as the 10 minute addition, that was quite good. Mixing up the flavour hop gives good variety.

Got a mixed grain Saison lined up for my next smaller brew.

I tend to have a lighter colored and a dark colored beer on tap at all times. Usually a pale or pilsner and a brown, porter, stout or schwarzbier.

The recipes are always changing depending on what base malts, specialty malts, hops and yeast I have on hand.

The yeast dictates what I brew more than anything. Like now I have 2035 going in a CAP so I'll re-pitch it into an American dark lager. I may try a amber lager with it too. I'll be sure to make a different CAP with it before I toss it all out (that strain is just so very good at that.) After that I'll move on to a more German yeast strain and make a NGP and than a schwarzbier or dunkel.

bleme said:
This one was my favorite of the 2. I started it at 75F and let it rise to 85F after 3 days. The first one I made without the date sugar and kept at 75F the whole time. It was nice, just not as good as the 2nd. Can't wait to try the Bret version!!!

http://hopville.com/recipe/1644674

Thanks bleme.

IPA
Something Else (usually porter or stout)
Rinse. Repeat.
IPA is sometimes pale ale or DIPA.
My next Something Else is a smoky octoberfest.

Ipa's and pale ales over and over for the most part. What better way to get to know each hop:). I have been experimenting also with using varities of new base grain latley to find out what I really love also and just to try new stuff. Golden promise seems pretty promising to me so far. Only if I could just get my water profile straight though.:( Generally finding out whats in your favorate commercial beers helps also.

Back