What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4 weeks. It was a sour mash so not a long aging one. Its my first shot at sour so I wanted the easier route but I am getting way more involved on next one. It tastes really good though. Nice sour flavor with a good hint of smokey cocoa at the finish. Only complaint is it feels a little thin in the mouthfeel but we will see after its carbed.

View attachment 121281

Sounds a little odd, but I'm looking forward to trying one next time we trade beers.

Present from my lovely girlfriend, there's a place here that imports lots of good beers.

View attachment 121280

How was dinner?

You just capping (or covering with plastic wrap?) and saving in the bottles or doing something else?

I save them in sterilized half pint ball jars. I was still drinking that bottle in the picture so I quick wrapped it in saran and a wrap of packaging tape. After I finish partaking I will flame the neck and into another half pint mason jar it goes...sanitized/sterilized of course.

Kind of on the old side, but still good. Again, clearing up some room in the fridge.

20130510_192500.jpg

I save them in sterilized half pint ball jars. I was still drinking that bottle in the picture so I quick wrapped it in saran and a wrap of packaging tape. After I finish partaking I will flame the neck and into another half pint mason jar it goes...sanitized/sterilized of course.

You're about two steps ahead of me then. I just try and get the bottle poured all at once (or twice) and cap it back up for the trip to the cellar and my current 'dreg it til I like it project'.

TNGabe said:
You're about two steps ahead of me then. I just try and get the bottle poured all at once (or twice) and cap it back up for the trip to the cellar and my current 'dreg it til I like it project'.

I am starting to wade back into sours after a few years off. The cleanliness is something that stuck with me from when I used to tissue culture plants.. Don't make me bust out the flow hood and glove box!

How is it? I was thinking of getting some of that myself

Pretty good I think, I preferred the Modus Hoperandi though. It's more the girlfriend's thing than mine, being as it's a) a dry beverage and b) a Saison, but I am enjoying it.

Also bear in mind I live in the UK, and getting hold of this stuff is difficult and expensive! I'm just excited when I get to drink it at all, so my ratings might be a little exaggerated.

I am starting to wade back into sours after a few years off. The cleanliness is something that stuck with me from when I used to tissue culture plants.. Don't make me bust out the flow hood and glove box!

Sounds like you've got the equipment (if you're serious) or at least the skills to start yeast ranching. Would love to see someone isolate some JP stuff.

Did you say you're getting a wine barrel tomorrow?

Having a HB 'belgian chocolate' porter. Interesting idea, just base, chocolate malt, and syrup, but I'm not really happy with the execution. Dropping the syrup next time for some turbinado and probably fermenting cooler or with a different strain.

bobmclargehuge, happy B-Day!

and for the rest of you, I wanna wear your face as a hair net! (not a direct quote but, what movie reference was that)

Happy birthday bob...

And..... What is Blades of Glory?

Oh yea. Drinking Central Waters Glacial Trail IPA.....tasty

Billy-Klubb said:
"It's gonna take more than a few car bombs to get us off this case"
"Not a hell of a lot more..."

"Don't be so fast to thank me on this, Luger, because you're going to be naked on this one. It's on the line for you. People are going to be watching. Now you blow it, you're going down. You screw up, you're going to be hung out to dry. You drop the ball, you're going to be left twisting in the wind. If you embarrass this department, your pants will be dancing with figs. Is that clear?"

"Everything except for the dancing with figs thing!"

Love that movie!

Sounds like you've got the equipment (if you're serious) or at least the skills to start yeast ranching. Would love to see someone isolate some JP stuff.

Did you say you're getting a wine barrel tomorrow?

Having a HB 'belgian chocolate' porter. Interesting idea, just base, chocolate malt, and syrup, but I'm not really happy with the execution. Dropping the syrup next time for some turbinado and probably fermenting cooler or with a different strain.

Definitely have the equipment. I have a few cultures I keep around such as brett brux trois and conan. I like the particular sourness from that JP La Roja for sure..it is a keeper.

as for the wine barrel. My wife and I are headed to wine country for dinner and some stops at some local wineries/breweries/distillery up along the lake. I will be coming home with a wine barrel if the place I called still has one but will be definitely returning with a used barrel (10 gallon) from the distillery..I am unsure which one I want because they have so many kinds.

now drinking a Siren Noire from Heavy Seas. This is rather sweet from when I remember it last..then again, it was in the back of the fridge long forgotten!

:fro:

image-1250879574.jpg

as for the wine barrel. My wife and I are headed to wine country for dinner and some stops at some local wineries/breweries/distillery up along the lake. I will be coming home with a wine barrel if the place I called still has one but will be definitely returning with a used barrel (10 gallon) from the distillery..I am unsure which one I want because they have so many kinds.

If those 10 gallons aren't an arm and a leg and you feel like boxing one up, let me know! :D

Just picked up some Sierra Nevada/Dogfish Head Rhizing Bines IPA, Stone Dayman Coffee IPA, and Saint Arnold's Icon Green Amarillo Hefeweizen.

"Don't be so fast to thank me on this, Luger, because you're going to be naked on this one. It's on the line for you. People are going to be watching. Now you blow it, you're going down. You screw up, you're going to be hung out to dry. You drop the ball, you're going to be left twisting in the wind. If you embarrass this department, your pants will be dancing with figs. Is that clear?"

"Everything except for the dancing with figs thing!"

Love that movie!

we have a quoting winner!

and I'm having a Goosetown from Schell's.

OK now I'm working on this Hannsens Oudbeitje, which appears to be a straight lambic that has been flavored with strawberries. Maybe it's supposed to be carbonated like other fruit lambics, and mine just lost its carbonation? Not sure. It's tasty in any case. The strawberry really complements the sour character quite well.

hannsens_oudbeitje.jpg

Definitely have the equipment. I have a few cultures I keep around such as brett brux trois and conan. I like the particular sourness from that JP La Roja for sure..it is a keeper.

now drinking a Siren Noire from Heavy Seas. This is rather sweet from when I remember it last..then again, it was in the back of the fridge long forgotten!

:fro:

Real men drink from mugs! :ban:

:confused: mystery beer, keg went in and out and back in the kegorator. I thought it was a belgian wit...brewed March 2012 was hazy and tasted like orange and coriander when I was last drinking it. Now it is clear and has an apricot after taste. Not sure if this is the beer I think it is. I should have a done a better job labeling the keg, oh well still tastes good:mug:

Latest posts

Back