Lavender Chocolate Stout- in fermenter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingogames

Reaction score
Just brewed this as a one-gallon test batch, whatcha guys think?

1 gal batch. If it is decent, I might do a 5 gal. I love these two flavors!

I think you call this a partial mash. But I'm not sure the difference between partial mash and steeping grains. Anyways, here's what I did:

Recipe:
Grains I put in grain bag
3.2 oz Crystal 80
1.6 oz Chocolate Malt
1.6 oz flaked oats
1.6 oz roasted barley

Steeped these between 145 and 155 deg. for 60 min in 3 qt. water. While steeping, I warmed 2 qt water to 170 deg for sparging. At the end of the steep, I put the grain bag in a colander over the pot. I sparged (is that a word?) the kettle water over the grain bag in the colander. Then I brought the pot to a boil with about 1.5 gal of water total in the boil pot.

Once at the boil, I added 1/2 oz. Cascade hops, 19.2 oz dark DME and set the timer for 60 min.
I added 1/4 oz. Cascade at 30 min.
I added 1/4 oz. Cascade at 10 min.
I added 4 oz. baking chocolate at 10 min.
I added .2 oz of lavender at 10 min. Maybe I should have done this at 5 min. it MIGHT have been in the boil too long. It's fragile, but we'll see.

At the end of the boil, I cooled the wort in an ice bath until it reached 72.
Then I pitched 1/2 pkt of Munton's ale yeast (from a previous batch).

Smelled great. Cobbled this recipe together from others I've found on here. What do you guys think?

Sounds interesting... I am a fan of chocolate and non-traditional flavorings. Lavendar wasn't my favorite, but to each his own. I'm interested to see how this turns out.

this went into bottles yesterday. had a little taste. definately showing good potential!! not much of a lavender character yet, really roasty. Hoping a few weeks in the bottle will let things mellow out.

I cracked one of these mid April. Undrinkable. I'm going to let them age, but they have very little carbonation and are sour/bitter. Too Bad.

Latest posts

Back