Gas Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigPhilyStyle

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch of beer and poured out my sanitizer before putting it in the gas chamber. Will this be a problem?

Well... I'm guessing that you mean you poured out the sanitizer from your primary fermenter? I'd bet you're using a carboy. It'll look kinda like a 40 oz on steroids.

If you had your sanitizer in the primary fermenter for a sufficient length of time and THEN dumped it, I'm sure you'll be okay.

If you mean that you didn't sanitize your primary fermenter, then you still might be okay... but there's a slight change you'll brew a wild brew. Other yeasts or bacteria can get in there and it might make you're beer amazing by accident, or it might make it undrinkable.

It'd help if you clarify what you did...

No no no... I did santize everything, correctly I hope LOL
But I did not fill the gas chamber with the sanitized solution. Follow????

Therefore I used tap water in the gas chamber...

The chamber you insert in top of fermentor bucket that allows the gas to release while the yeast is activating

BigPhilyStyle said:
I brewed my first batch of beer and poured out my sanitizer before putting it in the gas chamber. Will this be a problem?

If you want to kill a beer, the electric chair is better.

just kidding. if you mean the airlock, no worries. There's a small chance you could have a blow off, drive some fermenting beer into it, and then infect the beer, but IMHO that won't happen.

I always keep my sanitizer around, though, BTW, in a covered bucket, since you'll need it for taking hydrometer samples and other tasks.

It's called an airlock. You could also use Vodka. The idea is to use something that will kill bacteria in case some of the solution gets sucked back into the fermenter.

OHHHHHHHH! lol dude... that's hardly a problem. Most people use vodka in that thing anyway. That's called an airlock. I've used plain water in mine in a pinch and it worked out, but I'd probably use either sanitizer or vodka. And since you don't have that sanitizer anymore, I'd be safe and go with vodka.

Ok thnaks guys!

One more question:
If I did not rehydrate yeast and simplly just put it in the fermenter, how long does it take to start activating? If it doesnt start pruding gases through the air lock, then do I add more yeast? How much?

Thanks in advance

It can take up to 72 hours to start seeing visible fermentation. The yeast go through a reproductive phase before visibly fermenting.

No airlock activity is not an indication of no yeast activity.
It is common to have a "less that perfect" air-seal on you fermenting bucket.
One package of dry yeast should be fine.

Yeah, as acidrain said, you might not see or hear bubbles if air escapes even a little around the rim/seal, but there can still be activity underneath.

For the airlock being filled with water rather than sanitiser or so on; be careful when moving the fermenter, or when lifting it etc, in case water ends up going backwards and into the beer (I've had this happen before with a 1 gallon plastic fermente). With vodka or a no rinse sanitiser like starsan it is not a problem if some goes the wrong way, but they are in no way essential.

Back