Slow carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichiganBrewer

Reaction score
Hello all,

Background; this is my first batch of beer, and for the most part, I am pleased with how it turned out. It is a extract kit for American Pale Wheat Ale (about 5%-6%ABV), and I gotta say it sure is tasty. I racked 5 gallons of the beer on top of 4.5oz corn sugar (simple syrup).

Okay here is the issue. I am on day 22 of bottle conditioning, and it seems like some bottles are done carbonating and some are not. I've had two bottles give me lots of foam head with good level of carbonation, one bottle give me the right amount of head and carbonation, and 4 bottle give me somewhat flat beer.

I think that I figured out that I had the beer too cold during the bottling phase. They are in my basement bathroom with the door closed. The ambient air is warm enough, but I think that the cold tile floor was sucking the heat out of them. I cracked one today and it measured 45deg F... yikes!

I did originally have them stacked two levels (for the first 2 weeks or so), which might explain why some bottles carbonated faster, they were further from the cold floor.

I have since moved the bottles to my bedroom which is around 70deg, and gave them a couple turns to mix the yeast back into the beer. Should this be enough to wake the yeast up or do I need to take further measures?

Thanks for the help,
Dave

First off, welcome to your new addiction. The 70 degree temp should get your beer where it needs to be. I am curious as to how long you let it ferment. I remember being very impatient as it was fermenting. It took reading many posts on this site and fermenting the beer to prove it that 3-4 weeks in the primary makes a well fermented very clean beer. Have fun, continue to learn, and share questions/experiences as it may be a help to others.

I let the fermentation go a total of 2 weeks, and at the end the beer was right were it was suppose to be for the gravity reading. Hopefully this increase in temperature will wake up the yeast from their sleep!

Back