Mystery Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashenden

Reaction score
I'm finding that my first ever batch of homebrew is undrinkable, BUT.. It tastes, smells and looks fine! The thing is, and this probably sounds crazy, I know, but whenever I try it, within seconds I start feeling slightly dizzy and just out of it, like I want to lie down. This lasts a couple hours, even if I only take one drink.
I can't make any sense of this at all. I keep thinking I'm just tripping and it's psychsomatic. But I've tried it four times now and it keeps happening.:confused:

Anyone ever heard of anything like this before? Seems like a possible allergy but I've never had an allergic reaction to beer before. It was in primary 3 weeks, now in bottles 3 weeks. The only thing I messed up in the process as far as I know is I pitched the yeast too hot, like around 80.

Clueless. I was all ready to start a second batch but I'm kind of demoralized now.

Has anyone else tried it?
High initial fermentation temps may have yielded some fusels and higher alcohols which you might be reacting to.
Interesting, but don't let it get you down.

Not yet, actually. Haven't had a chance to get together with my drinking buddies. Hopefully they'll be brave enough to try it after I tell them what's happening to me!
Well, I guess I will go ahead with a second batch attempt just to see what happens.

What was your actual fermentation temp? Are you getting headaches too?
I think it may be fusels. Keep in mind, the temperature in the fermenter can be 5-10° higher than the ambient temperature, so if your room temperature is 68°, your veer may have gotten up over 75° and thrown off some fusel alcohols.

Yeah, I drank a bomber, got all dizzy right away and then next morning had a bit of headache/hangover feeling. Not a lot, but then you don't expect any of that from one bomber.

The only way I measured temp was by the temp strip on the carboy. When I pitched it was maxed out, so I don't really even know how hot it was. It was a partial boil, I'd cooled wort to about 110 and added cold water to top off to 5 gal. At the time I didn't realize pitching temp was important! Ha! Rookie move.
It took close to 2 days to get going. Most of the active fermentation was , judging by temp strip, between 63-68.

But, it doesn't taste harsh or alcoholic. In fact it tastes pretty good and I wish I could drink it!

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I'm going to brew tomorrow and be extra careful with temp. I don't have any temp control equipment, just keeping it in a cool pantry closet. But I guess if I pitch closer to 60-65 that would be wise? I'm using US-05.

Yeah, I drank a bomber, got all dizzy right away and then next morning had a bit of headache/hangover feeling. Not a lot, but then you don't expect any of that from one bomber.

The only way I measured temp was by the temp strip on the carboy. When I pitched it was maxed out, so I don't really even know how hot it was. It was a partial boil, I'd cooled wort to about 110 and added cold water to top off to 5 gal. At the time I didn't realize pitching temp was important! Ha! Rookie move.
It took close to 2 days to get going. Most of the active fermentation was , judging by temp strip, between 63-68.

But, it doesn't taste harsh or alcoholic. In fact it tastes pretty good and I wish I could drink it!

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I'm going to brew tomorrow and be extra careful with temp. I don't have any temp control equipment, just keeping it in a cool pantry closet. But I guess if I pitch closer to 60-65 that would be wise? I'm using US-05.

Wise: Yes. Lower end of the spectrum is typically a good idea for ale strains like that.

But 63-68 should be fine for that yeast strain... you shouldn't get fusels at those temps. There is a really good thread going on an experiment another member did with US-05 at various temps, 68 being the max. I will post it back here when I find it, but you may find it by searching too. Long and short, results at 60, 64, and 68 were taken and fusels were not a part of any of the feedback last I checked. Maybe something else is at fault here... not sure, perhaps someone with more experience can give you some feedback.

You could always send me some for analysis... I'd be happy to provide feedback! :D

I got my neighbor to try it. Coincidentally enough he says he used to be a home brewer, which I did not know before. He said it tasted fine, pretty good for a first brew, and he had no weird reaction to it.
So I guess I'm either allergic to something in it that doesn't bother others or I'm just a total nut case with psychosomatic symptoms. I tried it again when he was over and still get the weirdness. Sheesh. Maybe I'll stick to brewing coffee.

Ha! It's only 4.6% I'm sessioning it right now. I've accidentally invented a psychedelic brew!

Back