Brutus Style Brewstand Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got the stand ground down and painted. I'll do a test run tomorrow with pictures. Tip to all paint this as quickly as possible. These things rust quick and they are a pain to prep.

image-2257652781.jpg

image-3716534705.jpg

image-397837342.jpg

image-1463812388.jpg

image-2012859569.jpg

I am just waiting on the casters, but I tested the burners and pumps. Brewing on it this weekend let me know what y'all think of it.

image-1955450500.jpg

image-432942333.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the casters and that HERMS setup you mentioned on my Blichmann thread!!

Casters are on. Did a little touch up paint. Pumps back on tomorrow and then I'll be waiting for your thoughts!

image-3353958764.jpg

BrewingGunner said:
Casters are on. Did a little touch up paint. Pumps back on tomorrow and then I'll be waiting for your thoughts!

Looks good!! I need to catch up!!

Nice looking stand. Did you find that your burners are too far away from the kettles? I did something similar with my Bayou Classics. I cut the legs off and used the wind screen / burner mount. I mounted the rings to angle iron supported by all thread. That lets me adjust the position of the burner.

Looking great! thats the same way i did mine (with the shields/burners)
one thing though, i would put the windscreens higher, or drill holes and mount the burners higher. you have a welder so you can do this easier. I did that on mine and increased times rather nicely = much less wasted propane :)

2012-07-20_16-20-24_459.jpg

basically i had cut the legs off and welded the screens to the stand itself.

kind of like this if you dont want to cut the legs off.

kab4porpane.JPG.w300h427.jpg

hopefully that helps somewhat on the times! shouldn't take longer then an hour or two.

Keep us updated though! looking great! (PS. i have the same welder. for $100, it's kick ass :mug: )

Looking great! thats the same way i did mine (with the shields/burners)
one thing though, i would put the windscreens higher, or drill holes and mount the burners higher. you have a welder so you can do this easier. I did that on mine and increased times rather nicely = much less wasted propane :)

2012-07-20_16-20-24_459.jpg

basically i had cut the legs off and welded the screens to the stand itself.

kind of like this if you dont want to cut the legs off.

kab4porpane.JPG.w300h427.jpg

hopefully that helps somewhat on the times! shouldn't take longer then an hour or two.

Keep us updated though! looking great! (PS. i have the same welder. for $100, it's kick ass :mug: )

Thanks! I think I'll look into drilling the holes first in the windscreen and see how that works!

On a different note, where did you get the control box with the switch? It looks perfect to power the pumps!

That i built.
Here is the diagram, i just went to Lowes and picked up the waterproof stuff (i think all together it was about $15 or so, and the extension cord was i think $5, well worth it)

wiring-switched-outlet.jpg

That i built.
Here is the diagram, i just went to Lowes and picked up the waterproof stuff (i think all together it was about $15 or so, and the extension cord was i think $5, well worth it)

Thanks so much. I'll look for that stuff today. I'm tired of plugging and unplugging the pumps to turn them on/off. The enclosure was at lowes too?

That i built.

I just finished my single tier 3 burner with 2 pumps the other day and want to wire in a waterproof box to plug in each pump without cutting the cord and each have their own switch. I see in the diagram I see you have 2 outlets, 1 for each pump but only switch, am I missing something?

Nice looking stand. Did you find that your burners are too far away from the kettles? I did something similar with my Bayou Classics. I cut the legs off and used the wind screen / burner mount. I mounted the rings to angle iron supported by all thread. That lets me adjust the position of the burner.

It works pretty well. I'm going to try and drill some holes further up and move it about an inch close to the kettles and see if that's even better.

Thanks so much. I'll look for that stuff today. I'm tired of plugging and unplugging the pumps to turn them on/off. The enclosure was at lowes too?

Indeed!

Here is the cover
http://www.lowes.com/pd_78997-223-E...uctId=3799389&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1

and here is the back box
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=rel&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

With that digram, i ignored the right hand outlet. And if you wire it up that way, it basically will give constant power to one and the switched source will be the other. it actually comes in handy that way :)

I just finished my single tier 3 burner with 2 pumps the other day and want to wire in a waterproof box to plug in each pump without cutting the cord and each have their own switch. I see in the diagram I see you have 2 outlets, 1 for each pump but only switch, am I missing something?

that diagram is one i pulled off the net with the original switch build, i ignored the one on the right and basically one is switched and one has constant power (if i have a light or anything i just plug it into that one)

I can help you wire something up pretty easy if you're looking for that though!

Shoot me a PM with what you're looking to specifically do and i'll do a little diagram for ya :mug: it'll help get by work today (i have really nothing to do.... lol)

well here is 2 different ways to wire the switch.
If you wire it on the LEFT side, it has the top switched and the bottom constant.

if you wire it on the RIGHT diagram, you will have both being switched by the switch.

Let me know if this all makes sense :)

Untitled_zpsb3ac9759.png

It sounds like running the switched and constant outlet together would be the most versatile option, although I can't think what I would use it for atm. So if I were to want 2 pumps on 2 switches going into on box with just one power supply line coming in, what would that look like? I guess I would have to look to see what these watertight boxes look like, I just can't picture what how the outlets would be mounted to keep everything dry with 2 plugs coming in, 1 out and 2 switches.

Well one idea is this.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_78998-223-E...uctId=3135247&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1
034481114925lg.jpg

take that plate, wire in 2 switches and have 2 corded ends coming out of it that you can plug into from your pumps. you wouldn't have a constant in that circumstance (unless you wanted another dongle coming out of it) and those project type boxes. Or you can hardwire your pumps... anything is really possible and not very expensive.

However, if you wanted to build off of a project type box, anything is possible. And that i can help with easily as well, just the enclosure is not going to be prebuilt like those boxes. I can make a wiring diagram like the one posted above for you as well if you have some ideas?

so we don't bunch up his thread too much, PM me with some ideas and i can get something together for ya! :mug:

Great work! :mug:

one thing you may want to do in those holes is get some romex holders

romex_connector.jpg

they're cheap, and they'll screw into the holes.
basically it'll put any weight stress (even the weight of the cords hanging down can put a bit of stress on the screws) onto that instead of the outlets/switches.

it's just cheap insurance to make sure the cords don't get yanked out or something to go wrong on brew day :mug:

Hi I'm new to brewing, only two kit brews under my belt. but was wondering where you got the welder and how much it cost. I would love to learn how to weld, and I think the practice would be fun. Your stands looks fantastic. All "Brewinggunner, Rivein, And Tanstaafb".

Hi I'm new to brewing, only two kit brews under my belt. but was wondering where you got the welder and how much it cost. I would love to learn how to weld, and I think the practice would be fun. Your stands looks fantastic. All "Brewinggunner, Rivein, And Tanstaafb".

I got the one I used for the stand at Harbor Freight. $100, and thanks! It was extremely fun and rewarding. :mug:

There are 4 total outlets. 2 are switched and 2 are constantly powered. I just ran all the wires in one hole for ease and to prevent weather intrusion.

It was fun to build but more fun to brew on. Let me know if you want plans.

If you're willing to share your plans, I'd love to get them. I'm planning to have a buddy do the welding for the cost of some homebrews. Fair trade. If you're willing, you can PM me- I totally understand if you'd rather keep it private. :mug:

If you're willing to share your plans, I'd love to get them. I'm planning to have a buddy do the welding for the cost of some homebrews. Fair trade. If you're willing, you can PM me- I totally understand if you'd rather keep it private. :mug:

Let me put them together. You should try the welding yourself though. Believe it or not this was my first time welding ever.

Let me put them together. You should try the welding yourself though. Believe it or not this was my first time welding ever.

Great, thanks! I forgot to mention, your stand looks really nice, and incredible welds. Considering the welder was only $100, I may try...

i have the same welder as well... it's been awesome. it's my third one (one was stolen, one i sold before i moved across country and i just re bought another).
the most recent ones have a cooling fan in them which have helped the welds quite a bit. :mug: i would not hesitate to get one.

Currently planning out my current build as well. I think I may use a burner for the mash tun to do step mashes with, but I would love to see your plans for this build if possible:mug: Turned out great!

Currently planning out my current build as well. I think I may use a burner for the mash tun to do step mashes with, but I would love to see your plans for this build if possible:mug: Turned out great!

Mine is very similar but with a 3 burner setup if you need that information.

BrokenDog said:
I'll have to take actual measurements since the shop modified the design a bit, but here is the jist of it.

This is what I used (modified): http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/14085118/1257679793/name/Brutus.pdf

I lowered the bottom braces, removed the bottom middle cross support, and made the burner openings 13"x13" (instead of 12"x13"). I also ran a BWP gas manifold as my completely novice welding skills were not up to the rail-type shown.

Plans are perfect otherwise, and having the cut list is awesome. I actually sent this to the steel company and he cut from it (again, with my mods).

When I had been pricing out having someone build for me this was invaluable.

Latest posts

Back