in a pickle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collycreekbrewer

Reaction score
OK. Started brewing and was cleaning and sanitizing when I discovered the bung for my carboy is busted. My LBHS is closed. I've already began. What can I do?

Sanitize some cling wrap, crumple it loosely over the opening and hold it there with a weak rubber band. If your ferment is pushing out gas this will vent, but if you pull suction the cling wrap will pull tight and seal (more or less). This will get you through until you can get a new bung.

Nah, in homebrewing it is really rather hard to get into a mell of a hess.

Watch this for a good idea about how anal you need to be about clean-room like sanitation:

http://brewingtv.com/episodes/2010/5/17/brewing-tv-episode-4-open-fermentation.html

For a minute there I feared you linked to that TSA video where he was in the basement catching motes of dust and rubbing the lotion on his arms... Agreed though, you do not need to be retentitive about sanitation. Do the best you can, sanatize anything that touches your wort after it is cooled, and you should be ok.

Nah, in homebrewing it is really rather hard to get into a mell of a hess.

Unless you're a worrier in which case it's really hard *not* to be in a mell of a hess. I'm ***always**** in a mell of a hess.

Back