Motorcycle Fanatics, show your ride(s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My latest. (my 6th bike so far)
2012 Ninja 650

DSC00347-L.jpg

And then sometimes you leave work all happy to head home and find that someone has done this to you:

image-947882478.jpg

My '08 WR450F. In the process of converting to supermoto. Be getting the inspection and tags within the next couple of weeks or so. Can't wait.

image-2271102413.jpg

Noooooooooooooooo!

Someone did that to me too. They owned up though. Handled totally amicably. :mug:

No note, no nothing. Number one suspect is the car parked directly next to the bike, but no one is claiming any sort of responsability. I even left a note on the beat up scooter my bike landed on in case he wanted to ***** at my insurance company (figured that was the stand-up thing to do).

Turns out I've got a $250 deductable depending on how the accident is classified.

I've got to take it to the dealership and wait for an estimate which will then be double checked by the local agent, then parts ordered, repairs, etc. I'm out of transportation for a few weeks more than likely, so it's a total pain in the ass.

Here's me n the Firebolt at Heartland Park Topeka on track day, and the Raptor on the trails at Oakland.

Picture 018.jpg

quadjump.jpg

Picture 027.jpg

Hey when you guys ride those Super bikes, it looks like your squishing your nuts? What happens if you hit a pothole?

This winter BLOWS.

I need to move back to where my handle makes sense again. F'ing ridiculous way the h3ll up here.

This winter BLOWS.

I need to move back to where my handle makes sense again. F'ing ridiculous way the h3ll up here.

It's 80 F today in Virginia! My buddy just moved to MN last year...he posted a picture of his snowfall this past weekend while I was out gardening. :D

Man that would kill me!

Redid the bike last year from the ground up... not perfect, took a lot longer than it should, but I like it the way it is now.
178570_10101650081605168_1805724686_o.jpg

And the first time it ran in nearly a year:

Last edited by a moderator:
Redid the bike last year from the ground up... not perfect, took a lot longer than it should, but I like it the way it is now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYJv-41cC8M

Nice bike... I'm confused by what appears to be an exposed belt and clutch pack on the right side of the engine? What is going on there?

Nice bike... I'm confused by what appears to be an exposed belt and clutch pack on the right side of the engine? What is going on there?

Nothing to be confused about... there is an exposed clutch and so are the timing belts.

OLDER Ducati's have dry clutches (Only the 1198 Streetfighter does now...). Mine is an '08 S2r and has a dry clutch.

They come with the clutch completely covered, but a lot of Ducati guys like the sound and supposedly it helps keep the clutch cooler to put an open cover on them.

As for the belts... I'm constantly warned that by leaving them open (they come with covers) that I'm risking getting a rock in there, skipping some teeth on the pulley, and smashing pistons into valves. But I've never heard of that actually happening, even when something does get into the belt.

I just like having those things spinning around confusing people I guess. And the rattling sound... freaks the Harley guys out every time.

Oh, and the tank in the video is a different tank than is on the bike in the picture. The stripe and lettering is orange in the video (stock color one year), whereas on the complete bike it's all red and black

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYJv-41cC8M

Long process and a lot of work, but hella fun ain't it. Not entirely certain I'd tackle a project like mine again but, I am really happy that I did it.

painterly4_zpse8624c97.jpg

Here's my old Buell, notice the duct tape on the cast? I couldnt get my toes under the shifter to upshift, so I taped a small block of wood to back of the cast so I could heel shift. You can't tell from this pic, but I also am wearing a back brace. YES this the bike I crashed! looks pretty good now don't it? lol

crutchbike.jpg

CoryM616 said:
This is my new ride. 2010 CRF450R. Done drank the kool-aid.

Thumpers rule, you'll love the bike. Two strokes have their place and that was a clean YZ you sold but the CFR will make power EVERYWHERE.

Just got my '07 WR450F played and inspected. Felt like I got away with something walking out of there with the plate in hand.

image-1090469445.jpg

image-2062855810.jpg

image-4228331901.jpg

The Darkside mounted up on the Vulcan 2K, and ready for the first ride ride out on the highway.

IMG-20130518-00155.jpg

IMG-20130518-00156.jpg

Does require more countersteer effort to turn, no doubt about it, but not terrible by any means.

I probably have only ~50 miles on the tire so far, but so far I don't see any reason this tire can't meet all my driving needs on that scooter and last 20-30,000mi instead of 4-5,000mi.

Was a big doubter myself and still very new to the Darkside, but it's not as detrimental to handling as I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, it is different, but so far easily adjusted to.

So is that a car tire or a bike tire in car tire form? Never saw a tire like that before I'm also a sport bike guy so don't look threw tires for cruisers but never noticed a tire like that in the mags I order from, very interesting tire and hell wish they came out with a tire like that for my sport bike I would save a ton of money lol

It is a car tire installed on a motorcycle. A very good car tire at that. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 205/55ZR16 with a "Y" speed rating (186mph) and a AA traction rating.

I have no plans to put such a tire on my crotch rocket, but after today's drive I think it would do better than many think possible. Not better than a true sport tire, but still fairly capable.

still thinking that any aggressive turns may be problematic. Dunno though, never did much R&D in this realm. Historically I just keep thinking of well rounded, soft MC tires are what we need.

Yup. Many drivers are convinced that rounded is the only thing that can possibly work.

I finally got tired of debating it from a point of no direct experience and decided to try it. So far so good. Most that try it seem to stay with it. A small percentage don't like it and go back to MC tires.

Thumpers rule, you'll love the bike. Two strokes have their place and that was a clean YZ you sold but the CFR will make power EVERYWHERE.

Yeah thanks. It took me a summer of riding them back to back to finally decide. The 4 stroke is definitely easier to ride. But that YZ is so fun. I love the 2 stroke power when it pulls through the gears. But the 4T hooks up way better and handles like a dream. I wish they would do more development on the 2T's. They are way behind on suspension and handling.

I've seen some video's on the car tire on the cruiser (dark side) deal.

Surprisingly enough since cruisers don't lean over hard like sport bikes, the car tire actually deforms enough to deal with 99% of the lean angle required for any cruiser needs. Check out this video:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been on a weblist for Gold Wings for a few years, and some of the Wing'ers do, indeed, put an automobile tire on the rear of a Wing...with little to no ill effects! The riders that have done that claim similar handling, similar ride quality, and MUCH greater tire life. Seems like a good trade-off to me.

glenn514:mug:

Back