IPA mash PH too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach1288

Reaction score
I used a spreadsheet I found online to calculate my estimated mash PH based on my water profile. Usually I add a teaspoon of Gypsum to the mash, but forgot this time. The spreadsheet estimated my mash PH to be 5.61 without Gypsum and 5.5 if I would have added the teaspoon of Gypsum. Is 5.61 too high for an IPA? Will it have an off flavor because of this?

Thanks,
Zach

I used a spreadsheet I found online to calculate my estimated mash PH based on my water profile. Usually I add a teaspoon of Gypsum to the mash, but forgot this time. The spreadsheet estimated my mash PH to be 5.61 without Gypsum and 5.5 if I would have added the teaspoon of Gypsum. Is 5.61 too high for an IPA? Will it have an off flavor because of this?

Thanks,
Zach

I can't imagine that a teaspoon (5 grams) of gypsum would reduce your pH from 5.61 to 5.5. That just wouldn't happen. It would reduce the pH a bit, but a tiny, tiny bit.

A 5.61 mash pH is ok, but the flavors might be "brighter" at 5.4.

Which spreadsheet do you use? I like Bru'nwater. It's been accurate with my pH meter almost every time. I'd suggest running your numbers through it and see what it predicts.

I can't imagine that a teaspoon (5 grams) of gypsum would reduce your pH from 5.61 to 5.5. That just wouldn't happen. It would reduce the pH a bit, but a tiny, tiny bit.

A 5.61 mash pH is ok, but the flavors might be "brighter" at 5.4.

Which spreadsheet do you use? I like Bru'nwater. It's been accurate with my pH meter almost every time. I'd suggest running your numbers through it and see what it predicts.

Using this spreadsheet my estimated PH is 5.5. I then added 4 grams of Gypsum and my estimated was 4.9??

What she said. I did a quick check on Brewer’s Friend calculator, pH went from 5.40 to 5.33. That’s with moderately alkaline water, 100ppm, and 4g gypsum.

So if Brun' Water is accurate then my mash PH should be around 5.5. Is that okay for an IPA? I added 2 teaspoons of Gypsum in the boil. That won't affect the PH at all correct? It will just accentuate the hops/bitterness?

So if Brun' Water is accurate then my mash PH should be around 5.5. Is that okay for an IPA? I added 2 teaspoons of Gypsum in the boil. That won't affect the PH at all correct? It will just accentuate the hops/bitterness?

Yes, a pH of 5.5 is fine! Gypsum will affect the pH, to a degree, lower it a bit. It increases the calcium, and the sulfate, in the mash water. Higher sulfate enhances bitterness, while calcium is needed for good yeast health.

Back