Re-using soda bottles for yeast-based carbonation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewbeliever

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm fairly new to brewing and all and I really want to try to make some ginger ale or root beer. I've heard that brewing soda in glass can be a bad idea, so I was wondering if you could re-use sanitized soda bottles instead? Or, do you have to go to the brew store and buy the expensive PET bottles that you supposedly can only use a certain amount of times?

I have not made soda, but I did make some apfelwein and I bottle-conditioned it in 2 liter soda bottles, reusing the screw-on caps. Worked just fine! In fact, I haven't had any apfelwein in months...I think I'll have some today!

glenn514:mug:

Soda bottles are awesome for both beer and soda. They can take a lot more carbonation than beer bottles, so you can have a highly carbed soda in a plastic bottle.

I carbed up a soda at 40 psi with a plastic soda bottle and my co2 tank (using a carbonator carb) in just a couple of minutes. Without co2, adding the yeast to the soda works well, too, of course, just make sure you screw on the cap tightly.

Awesome! I really appreciate the feedback, guys. How many times do you think you can reuse the soda bottles before it isn't a good idea any longer? I've heard that the plastic in soda bottles begins to leech into the liquid after a few uses...

Soda bottles are labeled #1 PETE. That's the same stuff used to make Better Bottles. And my brewing Better Bottles have been used NUMEROUS times with no "leeching" problems. I would think that the screw-top would be more critical over time than anything else. I would have no problem reusing soda bottles for bottle-carbonated beverages.

glenn514 said:
Soda bottles are labeled #1 PETE. That's the same stuff used to make Better Bottles. And my brewing Better Bottles have been used NUMEROUS times with no "leeching" problems. I would think that the screw-top would be more critical over time than anything else. I would have no problem reusing soda bottles for bottle-carbonated beverages.

Bam! Alright, I'll go for it! Thanks :)

Back