Re-use yeast for imperial stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickyfinger

Reaction score
Brewed a 1.064 brown ale with WY1450. Was thinking of re-using the yeast at the bottom of the fermentor for an imperial stout. I never re-use yeast anymore so I’m a little worried/concerned. What method will be safest to get no off-flavors? Wash, no wash, swirl in dregs of beer and pour in suspended only? I’m doing 11 G of stout at 1.100. What are the cool kids doing now?

No idea wth cool kids are doing (they're a crazy lot ;)) but imo the less one messes about with yeast the lower the risk of an unhappy ending.

A 64 point fermentation run properly should not have stressed your 1450, and assuming you did a ~5 gallon batch that ended well, after racking off the brown you could directly pitch 1/4-1/3 of what's laying on the bottom of the fermenter to the stout - or stash it in a handful of quart mason jars for later use...

Cheers!

It’s a great idea to use the yeast from a brown for a stout. Washed is always ideal but not absolutely necessary. When I reuse yeast I’ll take some sparge running on brew day and cool it to pitching Temp and put it in the fv with the yeast as a small starter to get it semi active before the finished wort get racked on topv

It’s a great idea to use the yeast from a brown for a stout. Washed is always ideal but not absolutely necessary. When I reuse yeast I’ll take some sparge running on brew day and cool it to pitching Temp and put it in the fv with the yeast as a small starter to get it semi active before the finished wort get racked on topv
Interesting idea. You wash it with sterile water first?

Interesting idea. You wash it with sterile water first?
I don’t go to extreme with washing the yeast. I’ll simply mix the slurry with some bottled distilled water in a wide mouth 1l jar and Shake it up in the container for about 30 seconds and then I’ll put it in the fridge to decant later. Then using a sanitized spoon I’ll crop the top 3/4 of the yeast cake off as it will be your most healthy/cleanest yeast.

The better option would be next time you want to reuse yeast, just top crop it off the krausen right after active fermentation slows.

Back