Re-intro from San Antonio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'll be here for the next few months. Posts for at least the next week or two will be sparse, but I'll try and respond to anything directed toward me, personally.

I've already posted a review of a local brew pub...not bad!

I'll be visiting another place up north near 1604 soon. The name slips my mind at the moment, but they boast 37 taps and 400 bottled selections!

More to come from my new, "metropolitan" location when I'm a little more established (I'm typing from the hotel parking lot right now...where I can get a weak wireless signal from next-door).

Welcome to the boards! I think you'll find this is a great resource - I bet you'll fit in fine.

There are lot's of little spots around here to find good beer, but my favorite is the Flying Saucer. This may be the place you are referring to. It's on I-10 and Huebner a couple miles south of 1604. www.beerknurd.com

They have an unmatched selection in the area, a decent menu and girls in short plaid skirts!

For beer, I will make no recommendation as you obviously have good taste. For food you cannot go wrong with the Rocket tater tots or the sausage. They also have a nice little cheese selection to go with your brew. It is my favorite place to go, as they have Dogfish 90 on tap, my personal favorite.

I like the Flying Saucer - been to a few around the country, but the place I was talking about is called Brew Moon on the north side of town on Blanco Rd. We're gonna check it out tonight. I'll post a review later.

Anybody have a suggestion for a good liquor store in the area? Preferably a place with a large selection of beer ("wall of beer") that sells mix-n-match singles.

Thanks, Ed! I'll definitely be looking you up during my Texas stay.

Well, the Brew Moon closed in 2004. I thought I read a recent review of the place, but I was wrong. So much for an exciting evening of beer sampling! We found a place up by Blanco and Bitters called The Melting Pot. It's a sort of upscale fondue restaurant. The experience and food were fantastic, but the beer selection was mediocre at best. They boast over 300 bottles of wine, and I had a nice 20 year tawny port with dessert. I'd definitely recommend the place...but not for the beer, unfortunately.

Flying Saucer, here I come!

Yuri_Rage said:
Thanks, Ed! I'll definitely be looking you up during my Texas stay.

Well, the Brew Moon closed in 2004. I thought I read a recent review of the place, but I was wrong. So much for an exciting evening of beer sampling! We found a place up by Blanco and Bitters called The Melting Pot. It's a sort of upscale fondue restaurant. The experience and food were fantastic, but the beer selection was mediocre at best. They boast over 300 bottles of wine, and I had a nice 20 year tawny port with dessert. I'd definitely recommend the place...but not for the beer, unfortunately.

Flying Saucer, here I come!

We have a Melting Pot here--SWMBO and I tried it a few months ago and when we left I thought we were going to have to rent a cart to push me outta there. My favorite part was the dessert. OMFG.

If you need anything during the move, don't hesitate to ask--and once you are ready for a beer shipment, lemme know. It is waiting.

Anybody have a suggestion for a good liquor store in the area? Preferably a place with a large selection of beer ("wall of beer") that sells mix-n-match singles.[/QUOTE]

Any HEB Plus will have mix and match. I don't know where you are staying, but the HEB Central Market has an awesome beer selection, it's down in Alamo heights on Broadway. I have purchased nearly a dozen Dogfish 120's over the last couple weeks there. They bought every retail case available. They easily have the best beer selection of any grocer in the area. I'm not sure about liquor stores with a better selection of beer, at least that I have found. They have a Wall of Good beer, and a short stubby cube for "all others".:rockin:

Back