Alternative Grain Beer Ryan's Rye Pale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OCBrewin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP1272
Yeast Starter
1.6L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10(ish) @ 60-62f
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @ 68f
Additional Fermentation
Crash for 3 days @ 34f
Tasting Notes
Slightly spicy rye background with some pungent and citrusy hops. Head for days...
I've made this beer, or very close to this beer twice before now and feel that this last batch will be good enough to post. I feel that I like most Rye Pales, but I'm not a huge fan of in your face rye flavor that overpowers everything else. I also am pretty partial to a pale having that citrus component from some high alpha US hops.... So that's why this recipe looks the way that it does.... I know that the recipe seems a bit busy, but I tend to brew with what I have and what I need to use up. I'm sure that you could replace the GP with straight 2-row, and combine all of the crystals into more of one type to simplify things, but this is what worked for me last time.:drunk:

GRAINS:

5# US 2-row
2# Golden Promise
2# Vienna
2# Flaked Rye
8oz Crystal 60L
8oz Flaked Barley
4oz Crystal 20L
4oz Honey Malt

HOPS:

0.25oz Apollo 18% (FWH)
0.25oz Simcoe 12% (FWH)
0.25oz Zythos 10% (20min)
0.25oz Apollo (20min)
0.5oz Zythos (5min)
0.5oz Apollo (5min)
0.25oz Zythos (0min)
0.25oz Apollo (0min)
0.25oz Simcoe (0min)

MISC:

1 Crushed Whilflock Tab (5min)
0.5tsp Yeast Nutrient (5min)

Mashed with help of my new RIMS set up to produce an exceptionally clear wort - clearest ever going into the BK for me :rockin:. Dough in at 146f and rest for 10min. Set temp on RIMS to 153f - step took about 15min and held there for 60min additional. Set RIMS to 168f to mash out, step took about 25min or so.

Fly sparged for about 45min, and added FWH to BK at the start of sparge. Turned heat on wort in BK after running off about 2gal.

Chilled with SS IC to 70f and pitched 1.6L starter (first time not decanting...) and pumped pure O2 through SS airstone for 30seconds. Placed in ferm chamber freezer and kept at 60f (Stainless thermowell bung - actual beer temp) - this thing is blowing off like crazy now, even with 5.25gal in a 7+ gallon glass carboy! Every time I use this much flaked barley this happens....

Looks like this one is gonna be the final version - tasted great out of the BK - just the balance I was going for. Tasting notes and updates on final product to follow in 3-4 weeks.:mug:

I just realized that I never updated this thread. Overall, I wouldn't change anything really about the recipe, other than maybe using 100% of either golden promise, Marris otter, or US to row for the base malt for experimentation. I also think that this recipe could use a bit more dry hop because the aroma seemed to fade quite a bit towards the end of the keg. Anyways, here is a pic of one of the last pints of the keg.

image-631828821.jpg

WLP1272 American Ale II yeast. Pretty tasty. Next time (soon) I'm going with some 1450 Denny's Favorite to bring out a little more malt without being sweet. This turned out great and I'll be simplifying the recipe a bit since this was formulated kinda as a way to use up extras. May go with all Marris Otter for a base, and add a blend of the three hops for a dryhop addition.

Back