BRY-97 36 hours later...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPBISME

Reaction score
So I made two (2) low gravity Summer Ales this weekend... one English and the other American...

I used Notthingham on the English and BRY-97 on the American. Both of them I just cast on the top when it was 70 degrees (F) with no "hydration" and then put in in a room that is in the mid 60s.

The Nottingham was bubbling up a storm at 24 hours and the BRY-97 was just sitting there with no activity. Since I am not going to lose all that work I cast a packet of US-05 on top.

This morning (36 hours later from start) still no activity on the American, but I did not open it.

SO:

I have read that BRY-97 is a slow starter... but I have really only had a couple beers in hundreds of batches not start in 24 hours... any one have any experiance with BRY-97?

DPB

I did a lemon wheat last week using the bry 97. Mine started about 24 to 36 hours in. It never got going very hard but it's been constant for a week now still bubbling every 30 seconds or so. Very strange I've only done about 8 beers but the bry 97 acted the strangest. Also I rehydrated

The Nottingham was slowing to a stop last night and the BRY-97 was mildy fermenting away.

Seems my plan to keg after seven (7) days may have to be pushed back until 10 or 11 (I am out of town for a couple days.

BUT I NEED BEER IN THE KEZZER... hurry up da^% it!

BRY-97 is an extremely slow starter. It's just a characteristic of that yeast. Rehydrating will help by not killing half of your cells right off the bat.

kinda off topic but.. anyone have issues with carbing in the bottle with Bry-97?? I brewed 3 gallons of the cream of 3 crops recipes awhile back using BRY-97.. I used 3oz corn sugar to prime 3g but even after a month it doesn't seem like I got near the carbonation I was after? strange.. very little dregs also.

kinda off topic but.. anyone have issues with carbing in the bottle with Bry-97?? I brewed 3 gallons of the cream of 3 crops recipes awhile back using BRY-97.. I used 3oz corn sugar to prime 3g but even after a month it doesn't seem like I got near the carbonation I was after? strange.. very little dregs also.

Good question about how warm they are... I would think 3 oz would be quite enough...

I would out a couple in a warm part of the house and give them a week.

At this point there is little chance that there will be off flavors since very little food is left for them to eat.

If it works put alll of it there...

The only other thing I could think is you measment was off...

On a side note....I used the harvested and saved bry-97 from my batch of cream ale into a small batch of centennial blonde I brewed yesterday and it took off like a rocket about 8 hours later.

On a side note....I used the harvested and saved bry-97 from my batch of cream ale into a small batch of centennial blonde I brewed yesterday and it took off like a rocket about 8 hours later.

I just bought some more this past weekend and then brewed... I did not us it but instead some Nottingham because I know that will be done quick and I need the beer ready for a wedding party in a couple weeks.

I will not be using it for any beer I need to get ready in a short amount of time,,,, at least until I have a bit more "faith" in it...

DPB

Back