Raspberrypints - RandR version on buster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolcask

Reaction score
Hi I have loaded RandR 's version on a fresh buster install... looked at many given ways to get it up and running with flowmeters but cant seem to make it click. Not sure what is needed to get it running flowmeters on buster. having set the pins in the admin and altered the config.py to suit my setup it does not measure a flow. just a bit of help would be great. thanks Dave

There is a long thread on the subject here: [Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution
You'd would likely have an easier go of it if you could have a moderator append this thread to that one.

In the mean time, what type of Arduino are you using, along with the type of flow meter(s)?
In the management gui under Advanced Hardware - Hardware IO Display do you see pin assignments for the flow meters in the appropriate locations?
Do you see any hints in the Log (under Install near the bottom of the management page) or in the Pour History under Analytics?

Cheers!

woo hoo got some small pours all 30ml whatever I put thru the flowmeter YF-s402 . Flowmeters are working correctly. using an arduino uno pins 2 and 3. whatever I set the count per liter it always shows a 30ml in the log. making headway but slow but better than being stationary.

I have worked out a lot of the issues and have a working Rpints... one small issue is that I get a warning of 'cannot execute query' on the taps admin page... after hitting save. The setting is saved but just this warning... is there a way to resolve this?

one small issue is that I get a warning of 'cannot execute query' on the taps admin page... after hitting save. The setting is saved but just this warning... is there a way to resolve this?
Im working through them if you let me know when you get them by telling me what you are doing when it happens.

you can also enable printing the SQL query with the error by uncommenting (removing // at the beginning of the line) line 11 of /admin/includes/conn.php
so it looks like this
1622553646251.png

Hi thanks for replying..

I have on the admin tap page

Cannot Execute Query[ INSERT INTO tapEvents(`type`, `tapId`, `kegId`, `beerId`, `beerBatchId`, `amount`, `amountUnit`, `beerBatchAmount`, `beerBatchAmountUnit`, `userId`, modifiedDate, createdDate)VALUES(NULLIF('2',''), NULLIF('10',''), NULLIF('10',''), NULLIF('10',''), null, NULLIF('5.00000',''), NULLIF('gal',''), null, null, NULLIF('1',''), NOW(), NOW()) ]

and on my home page (index.php) just

your logo here and currently on tap.... if i close it down and reload the web page it appears with list of beers etc

Thanks for all you do... it helps a great deal.

just another observation is the maximise or minimise for the certain sections on the admin page ie taps beers etc show a + or - but cannot close any sections they just pop open again... not really sure what that could be attributed to.

Cannot Execute Query[ INSERT INTO tapEvents(`type`, `tapId`, `kegId`, `beerId`, `beerBatchId`, `amount`, `amountUnit`, `beerBatchAmount`, `beerBatchAmountUnit`, `userId`, modifiedDate, createdDate)VALUES(NULLIF('2',''), NULLIF('10',''), NULLIF('10',''), NULLIF('10',''), null, NULLIF('5.00000',''), NULLIF('gal',''), null, null, NULLIF('1',''), NOW(), NOW()) ]
Ok that table is used to track when you change beers on tap, its not a big deal if the insert fails as the main function of Rpints will still work.
We should fix it however, so lets start by looking at the database table
from the terminal run
sudo mysql -D <DATABASE_NAME>
(default datbase name is raspberrypints)
describe tapEvents;

it should look something like this:
1622722038504.png

if you dont see beerBatchId, beerBatchAmount, or beerBatchAmountUnit then that is the issue. (the can be out of order then my screen shot)
to fix that from the same terminal with mysql open run these commands

CALL addColumnIfNotExist(DATABASE(), 'tapEvents', 'beerBatchId', 'int(11) NULL' );
CALL addColumnIfNotExist(DATABASE(), 'tapEvents', 'beerBatchAmount', 'decimal(7,5) DEFAULT NULL' );
CALL addColumnIfNotExist(DATABASE(), 'tapEvents', 'beerBatchAmountUnit', 'tinytext NULL' );

your logo here and currently on tap.... if i close it down and reload the web page it appears with list of beers etc
That sounds like my error i just fixed if you have fermenters showing.

ReRun the installer and select Update RPints to get the lastest which should fix the issue

but cannot close any sections they just pop open again... not really sure what that could be attributed to.
I found that the click function was actually being triggered 2 times because it was registered 2 time, I just removed the existing click call when the second one is added to fix this issue.

ReRun the installer and select Update RPints to get the lastest which should fix the issue

Ok that table is used to track when you change beers on tap, its not a big deal if the insert fails as the main function of Rpints will still work.
from the terminal run
describe tapEvents;

View attachment 731132
if you dont see beerBatchId, beerBatchAmount, or beerBatchAmountUnit then that is the issue. (the can be out of order then my screen shot)

CALL addColumnIfNotExist(DATABASE(), 'tapEvents', 'beerBatchId', 'int(11) NULL' );
CALL addColumnIfNotExist(DATABASE(), 'tapEvents', 'beerBatchAmount', 'decimal(7,5) DEFAULT NULL' );
CALL addColumnIfNotExist(DATABASE(), 'tapEvents', 'beerBatchAmountUnit', 'tinytext NULL' );

ok I have the following table beerbatchid no... yours is yes

1622779183048.png

Last edited:
That sounds like my error i just fixed if you have fermenters showing.

on this one I reinstall the Rpints update on the installer..

COOLCASK says

I have resolved the issue with plus and minus shown on left bar.

open the following in terminal window... sudo nano /var/www/html/admin/left_bar.php

Folder: /var/www/html/admin/left_bar.php

change line 63 & 76 to show ' expanded heading ' currently shows ' collapsed heading '

1622785120451.png

Last edited:
from the terminal run
describe tapEvents;

View attachment 731132

this is my answer when I enter the beerbatchid line..... I ran all 3 lines as you suggested

1622779483335.png

Last edited:
ok I have the following table beerbatchid no... yours is yes
that is the issue.

Instead of the last commands run these

ALTER TABLE tapEvents CHANGE COLUMN `beerBatchId` `beerBatchId` int(11) NULL ;
ALTER TABLE bottles CHANGE COLUMN `beerBatchId` `beerBatchId` int(11) NULL ;

or just update RPints agains as i just committed the fix

excellent... works great... will advise if any other future issues.

I appreciate your solutions.... how does one buy you a few beers?

COOLCASK says

I have resolved the issue with plus and minus shown on left bar. will show all sections closed with a plus rather than random. More a visual thing than any issue.

open the following in terminal window...

sudo nano /var/www/html/admin/left_bar.php

change line 63 & 76 to show ' expanded heading ' currently shows ' collapsed heading '

1622785120451.png

Thanks! I think i need to redo that whole side so that when a page is open it collapses everything above it to show the current page in the tree

yehh thanks sounds good... you must be well up on the knowledge... a master

I got the revamped left bar committed, now it will collapse any section after basic setup that do not contain the page being displayed and expand the one that does

Back