Racking cane "filter"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLAY_DEAD

Reaction score
I've tried numerous times to put a type of filter media (sanitized panty hose) over the end of my racking cane to keep the trub out of my keg, but I always seem to start to get air bubbles in my cane and I stop and take the filter off in fear of aerating my beer. Does anyone else have this problem?

Also, when I get near the end and tip my carboy to get the last of the beer, the siphon seems to pull some of the yeast off of the cake, even if I'm nowhere near it. . . Is the suction that intense?

What are some tips and tricks everyone else uses?

I've had what I feel is good luck with a sanitized paint strainer bag tied around the racking cane. Maybe it works better than panty hose or maybe I'm less picky than you, but I would think they'd be pretty darn close.

I used to do similar when I would dry hop. I had the same problem as you with it aerating and loosing my prime. I started cold crashing and that seems to drop everything out better. When I then go to siphon I usually set my carboy on somethingthat gives it a slight slope and let it sit there for a while, I then hold my siphon out of the trub and as soon as a little starts going up the siphon I stop. I know I may lose up to 1/2 a beer which is bad, but I Say "La Vee"

Yes, the suction is that intense!

I use a racking cane with a (plastic) tippy that inverts the flow so it comes from the top instead. That way it never sucks any yeast or trub unless you stick it in there. Not sure if siphons have a similar attachment or something that can be made. Now a little trub or yeast carry over will not ruin your beer. It will all sink to the bottom of the bottles or keg with time.

I agree about putting the bag on the output of the siphon.

One thing I do now, especially with hoppy beers, is use a hop spider in the boil. I have one of those mesh tea balls for dry hopping, but I haven't had the chance to use it for that yet. I have used it with my beer line washer as it's big enough to put the disconnect parts in it (except the main body) while it's running cleaner though the lines.

Latest posts

Back