Too late to oxygenate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viejo

Reaction score
Normally when I transfer cooled wort to my fermenter, I open the valve on the boil kettle and let it splash over a slotted spoon to aerate the wort. Yesterday, I tried something new to avoid transferring all the trub into the fermenter: I siphoned the wort off and, while it still tried splashing it over the spoon, it was really pretty gentle. So I'm not sure how oxygen-rich it is. This morning, I'm getting a steady but slow blow-off from the fermenter, rather than the usual high-energy activity, and I'm wondering if it's too late to introduce more oxygen, and if it's not, how. I don't own an aquarium oxygenator, but I could get one today if that makes sense.

Did you use plenty of yeast (i.e., a starter or a full pack of dry yeast?). if so, and if this is an average gravity beer, I bet you're fine and you have plenty of O2 in there for the yeast to do their thing.

You'd most likely screw up your beer by oxygenating at this stage. Once fermentation has started it's too late but I'm pretty sure it'll be fine. If it hits around expected FG you'll know it's been a success

It's a 1.048 gravity ESB. I used a 2 qt starter of WLP022. Activity is increasing nicely later today, so it sounds like I should be OK. Thanks for the feedback.

Back