Beer Judge Preferences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rambleon

Reaction score
So I've never entered any of my beers into competition but I plan to do so in a few weeks. I plan to enter my American wheat and it got me thinking about why judges expect about a style that's appearance can vary from very cloudy to brilliantly clear. I don't remember all of the styles that this applies to but I know there are a few. My guess would be that between a cloudy version of a style and a clear one the judge would prefer the clear. Am I way off? Does anyone have any experience with this?

If that is an acceptable variable in the guidelines then I would see no reason for either one to place the same.

Now this is assuming they are being impartial about personal preference, which as a judge they should.

If I remember correctly appearance can get you up to 3 points, which I think is the fewest for any criteria. I put a lot of effort into appearance my first time around but I'd be willing to sacrifice a little haziness (in a style where it wasn't appropriate) before I'd risk the aroma or flavor profile or exposure to O2. I used a plate filter last year and I think I introduced O2 by using it. Nothing over the top but a few judges mentioned slight oxidation and I'm pretty careful about O2 exposure.

Appearance is three points. Flavor is twenty and aroma is twelve. That should tell you where your focus should be.

Most judges will give full scores for anything in the range of clarity, head retention, and color specified in the guidelines.

It would have to be out of guideline to lose more than 1 point on appearance,so don't worry about it too much.

Appearance is three points. Flavor is twenty and aroma is twelve. That should tell you where your focus should be.

Most judges will give full scores for anything in the range of clarity, head retention, and color specified in the guidelines.

Well said.

Back