Quick RO Auto-Shutoff Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt_m

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Twice now I've turned on RO water to fill my kettle only to forget. Luckily our RO system only has enough storage to generate about 14 gallons of water in ~12 hours so I've not (yet) overflowed my 15 gallon kettle but it was time to do something. I previously tried an expensive electronic solution with a flowmeter that was wildly inaccurate. I thought about a simple float switch with a solenoid but after some thinking came up with this contraption using parts I had lying around that reuses the recirculation port I have in my lid. The bottom piece of tubing is hiding a straight-through John Guest-style fitting. It happens to work out that clamping the QD down squeezes the gasket into the 1/2" OD stainless tubing holding it snugly, but not so much I can't make adjustments, the small piece of tubing just keeps it from sliding around during installation. I just have to pop the blue tubing apart at the valve to install.

Attachments

• 20201128_192431516_iOS.jpg
    20201128_192431516_iOS.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 20201128_192438862_iOS.jpg
    20201128_192438862_iOS.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 20201128_193851874_iOS.jpg
    20201128_193851874_iOS.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 101
Ghetto version. To make adjustments I drain the excess water. :rolleyes: I keep meaning to make a permanent solution... but it works.

PXL_20201129_181219516.jpg

I've been thinking about something like this since I've overflowed my 15 gallon kettle more times than I care to admit.

That valve closes when the floats rises, obviously, so if that support arm rolls to the right the valve will be fully open forever :)

Cheers!

**** you are right.... but it's never fallen over. 😂 .....it also has exposed nails cause it's scrap. Was supposed to be for one brew until I did the plumbing but has been like that for ~8 months.

It actually has another "flange" piece of wood on the other side that you can't see to stop from rotating in that direction. Not any easier to knock off than a better quality bar or lid mounted would be.

Also - for those new to RO System: The system has TWO outlets - one is the PERMEATE (aka RO water, or "the good water"), and that you can control with a float valve as shown above. Bur even if the float valve closes, you'll still have CONCENTRATE (aka flush water) running to drain 24/7.

Wouldn't it be cool if you could have all water stop flowing through the RO when the permeate float valve closes? You can - easy peezy. You need three parts:
1. Float Valve
2. Auto Shut Off Valve
3. Check Valve

All three are available as a kit here: Auto Shut Off Valve Kit - Buckeye Hydro
Or you can get each individual piece on the site as well.
Instructions to hook it up: https://www.buckeyehydro.com/content/Auto_Shut_Off_Valve.pdf

Russ

Our system has the auto shutoff and check valve since its a full residential system with some extra pressurized storage to allow me to draw off my typical 9 gallons of brewing water without affecting household operations. But that's a good point for those with the simpler portable systems.

Edit: added "pressurized" per Russ's note below.

Last edited:
Another thing to consider for those with a pressurized storage tank - Have you ever wished you had more storage capacity? You can ADD another pressure tank. Simply add a quick connect tee to the line that goes to your existing tank, and a piece of tubing to the new tank. Your system will now shut off when BOTH tanks are full, and kick on when both tanks are low. The tanks do not need to be the same size/capacity.

Russ

Latest posts

Back