questions on RIMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougie63

Reaction score
I am thinking about adding a copper coil to HLT and have a recirc from and back to MLT using the heated water in the HLT to maintain proper temp on the MLT, I am assuming this is rims and my question is where it goes back to the MLT how is the return made at the top? thru the Lid?I am concerned with aerating/disturbing grain bed ect pics would be awsome

I was also planning on using the direct fire in the HLT to heat the wort in the coil

Aeration shouldn't be a concern.

I would worry more about having too high flow out of your MLT and compacting the bed. Any way you can spread or diffuse the flow over the bed should be ok. I use a 1/2 inch ss tee with tube that drizzles the water over the side of my MLT and into the grain. Maybe a whirlpool arm attachment.

fwiw, whether circulating or fly-sparging, I just drape the bare end of a run of 1/2" ID/3/4" OD silicone tubing over the rim of my MLT and lay a couple of feet on top of the grain bed in a loop...

Cheers!

I am thinking about adding a copper coil to HLT and have a recirc from and back to MLT using the heated water in the HLT to maintain proper temp on the MLT, I am assuming this is rims and my question is where it goes back to the MLT how is the return made at the top? thru the Lid?I am concerned with aerating/disturbing grain bed ect pics would be awsome

Yep, what you described is Herms (Heat Exchanged Recirculating....)
Anyway, you should be concerned about disturbing the grain bed when you return the wort to the MLT, but as mentioned, a section of coiled tubing works well, or a drilled plastic plate can be used on top of the grain bed to prevent drilling a hole in the bed if you want to just dump it back in the top...works for sparging too
;)

Latest posts

Back